Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Frontline Workers and People Over 74 Should Get Shots Next...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/20/health/covid-vaccine-firs...
Print the post Back To Top
As DW & I are in the next (1b, 77-78 years old) group, can some one point me to info that tells me how that is going to work? Do I sign up/request it somewhere, or will I be contacted by someone?

arahfool
Big argument now going on with minorities (blacks and Hispanics) demanding preference.

They die at 3-4 times the rate of whites.

Some states may prioritize them over seniors over 75.

stay tuned....

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have not heard in my case - but I did get an email blast from my PCP saying they would get covid vaccines in their office. It is a small office - so no way they can handle the Pfizer product, but they could handle the Moderna vaccine. I suggest you contact either your PCP or your local Public Health Office. These people will be among the first to know. As I am sure you have heard, every state is doing their own thing.
These are CDC guidelines. The states will make final decision.
I think to OP was asking how do they sign up or get in line assuming their state will follow the CDC guide lines.
You wonder if there will be a black market in vaccines.

If you have the right connections, a few bucks can get you moved up on the list.

Hey, this is modern politics. How about a contribution to your favorite politician's campaign fund?
Hey, this is modern politics

Ocrazyo-Cortez already got hers. I guess just like Lori Lightfoot's hair, some make exceptions for themselves based on their perceptions of their importance as opposed to the common rabble.

VA has been sending out e-mail updates to vets, so I'd guess we'll get ours once the VA determines its priorities for veterans.

BruceM
VA has been sending out e-mail updates to vets, so I'd guess we'll get ours once the VA determines its priorities for veterans.

The VA has already indicated that hospital and nursing home staff will be first along with elderly vets residing in VA nursing homes. After that who knows? My sister and I are disabled veterans in the over 70 group and received messages for us to sign up for vacinations but were provided no information regarding when that would occur.
As a follow-up, I contacted my doctor. His office will not be administering the vaccine. He suggested that I monitor the state healthcare website and a couple of our local pharmacies (CVS & Walgreens).
My state (GA) seems to following CDC recommendations so I guess it is a wait and see situation. No indication that I will be contacted.

Once the vaccine is available for my group I will get in line.

arahfool
one million have gotten the vaccine so far......

waiting for my turn......as a senior....

500 million doses - enough for 250 million people, will be available in 2021 for the US.

t.
We are in SW Florida. Every state is doing it their own way. This coming week (starting Dec. 28th) there will be available the Moderna vaccine to people over 65 and health care workers. We had been told a few weeks ago that we would need an appointment. Now, they are saying no appointment - just come to these locations between certain hours. The news outlet I am reading, says there are 300 doses at each of these locations, which is not much, considering we are in Florida and have a lot of retirees. We expect people will show up early and try to get a spot in line. They had some forms you could fill out online and bring with you. We are figuring the 300 doses will go fast. Not sure when the next bunch will be available.

As far as we know, the nursing home residents and nursing home staff have already mostly gotten it. As well as first responders were getting it last week. I just hope they keep shipping it and making it available. It would have been nice if they made appointments. If you are 80-some years old, you probably don't want to wait in line for a long time.

Footsox
No. of Recommendations: 4
Little Marco Rubio jumped to the front after downplaying the virus, skipping a mask and going to super spreader events.

People like that should be last.
The Arkansas Governor isn't the brightest light bulb or the sharpest knife in the drawer.....and I think He's been looking for a new brick also.

Finally yesterday he announced us old folks 70+ will be able to receive the vaccine starting January 18th. Only problem we know of is most of us didn't have a clue where to go to get it. Me being a silver headed lady has already found out and my name is on the list at the pharmacy where I get a few of my RXs.......Monday can't come soon enough.

Kitty
I don't want to be first in line. I could get in line now, but I plan to just hunker down until we have a better picture of the vaccine(s) efficacy and side effects. Meanwhile avoid crowded places, wear a mask.

CNC
" I don't want to be first in line. I could get in line now, but I plan to just hunker down until we have a better picture of the vaccine(s) efficacy and side effects. Meanwhile avoid crowded places, wear a mask.

CNC "

Regular and robust hand washing and watching where and what you touch - or wearing
disposable gloves is likely to be a good plan.

Howie52
And bringing the hands together in prayer is not the worst thing folks could do.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"I don't want to be first in line. I could get in line now, but I plan to just hunker down until we have a better picture of the vaccine(s) efficacy and side effects. "

Well, duh

Over 4 million have gotten it.

22 reported 'severe reactions' now. 17 of them carried Epi-Pens for other extreme allergies.... 21 survived.

One doctor in FL suddenly died 2 days later. Still be investigated.

You're chance of dying in a car accident is about 1 in 30,000 this year. Your chance of being in a car accident is 1 in 3000 this year. I bet you still go to the food store and elsewhere.

You've got a 1 in a million chance of being killed by lightning ......this year.

Before you get your shot, another million or two will have gotten their shot.

How long will you wait ? even if it lasts a year..... they'll be booster shots after than, just like flu shots.

Had my first Moderna shot five days ago. No effect other than sore arm for 2 days, and gone after that. Same as normal flu shot.

t.