No. of Recommendations: 0
I am curious.
You can check mine out at:
http://welcome.to/thecorleones
I'm the bassist.
Print the post Back To Top
I sing vocals and play blues harp with a blues band in San Diego.

Fool on,
Steve G.
I've begun Fooling around with a home recording studio. But no band, per se.

Absynthe
Absynthe (or anyone else),

Any tips or resources on home recording? I've done some work using Cakewalk 8.0, recording directly to my hard-drive. A simple setup (cond. mic --> preamp --> line-in) for tracking. I've used midi very sparingly for drum tracks, but usually replace it with live (small) percussion. Kind of a glorified 8-track recorder, but I've gotten some clean results. Good for demos, and even a few CD-worthy tracks.

Any input on processing/editing, etc. would be nice. Helpful learning tools/websites? Shareware or cheap software recommendations?

I'm in search of compression software, but haven't found anything I really like yet. Also looking for cheap "mastering" software to normalize, fade, compress, etc.. I've been using an old version of CoolEdit, but I'm looking to upgrade.

Anyone have any home recording success secrets to share?
I long rated myself a not-quite-good-enough-to-be-in-a-garage-band guitarist, although I'd love the chance to mix it up with a small group so that I could learn how to do it. It'd be a whole lot of fun, I think, and a chance for me to stretch.

FWIW,

Cheeze
Briefly, I'm a full time, and perform as a bassist, or work as a musical director in settings ranging from professional symphony and pit orchestras to jazz, rock, and blues groups. I've also done quite a few recordings, film soundtracks and TV/radio commercials.

I've performed on national network television and at venues such as the U.S. White House (Carter and Clinton), Carnegie Hall, the Montreux Jazz Festival, The New Orleans Jazz Festival, the 1990 Osaka World Exposition and Holland America's Salute to Jazz Cruises, to name a few.

As a music educator, I've taught privately and at several universities, published a jazz bass method and have given clinics in the United States, Europe and Japan. I've also done a little work as a music journalist for newspapers and magazines.

Artie
Hey!
Good to see other Fools are Muses as well!!
I play Guitar (and other assorted string instruments)
Have been in MANY groups over the last 30 years.
Good Luck with your group.
L V Johnston

TMFMuse,
IMHO you should add a compressor prior to putting your tracks to digital. The limitations of most input circuits on sound cards don't really allow you to capture the true dynamic range of most live (non-midi) instruments. The old saw about fixing it in the mix is just that, an old myth. Think: Garbage in - Garbage out. By compressing the source you will get a much crisper sound on disk and by limiting the peaks you will have LESS distortion (digital distortion - ouch!) on you final mix. There are several stand alone analog (i know - gasp!) boxes that can be obtained for modest amounts that will give you good bang for the buck. (If you want to know the truth this is why guitarists who use vacuum tube amplifiers love the sound of their Marshall/Fender/Boogie - the tube itself give a fair amount of compression of the guitar pickups signal!) Have fun!
L V Johnston
I play keyboards in a couple of jazz and blues bands in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay Area.

Sometimes I do solo gigs too.
I'm in a community band. About 40 pieces. People from high school grads up to Senior Citizens. Agewise, I'm in the middle. I just started drum lessons about 3 years ago, and found this band 2 years ago. I play in the percussion section.

I love it. We practice on Monday Nights, and do about 7 concerts a year.

I'd like to get a combo together, but I wonder if a group my age would be too old, and where would we play. Any ideas on getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Stephanie
I'd like to get a combo together, but I wonder if a group my age would be too old, and where would we play. Any ideas on getting started would be appreciated.

If there's one thing I found out during my years as a DJ and home-mixing musician, it's that driven and competent drummers are coveted. Swing a drumstick and you'll be able to find a combo. Heck, you'll be fighting them off.

Absynthe
stefgal: "I'd like to get a combo together, but I wonder if a group my age would be too old, and where would we play. Any ideas on getting started would be appreciated."

Absynthe: "If there's one thing I found out during my years as a DJ and home-mixing musician, it's that driven and competent drummers are coveted. Swing a drumstick and you'll be able to find a combo. Heck, you'll be fighting them off."

Stefgal,

I heartily second Absynthe's comments, and add a few of my own:

1.) Not sure where you are located, but most areas have clubs with jam sessions (usually on "off" nights, like Sunday, Monday, Sunday afternoon, etc.). It's a good way to work on your chops and meet like minded musicians with whom you can get together.

2.) Any particular musical genre? In my limited experience, age plays almost no factor in the jazz and blues milieu and may even be a bonus. My personal feeling is that, regardless of genre, if you're competent, you're competent, and age should not be a factor. I'm almost 47 and I didn't even start playing out until I was 40, 41.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,

Steve G.