Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Who pays the taxes on the trust income is something that might be addressed in the trust document. Its possible for the trust to say that the trust will pay the taxes. That's often not a good idea, though, because the trust gets into higher tax brackets much faster than an individual will. The trust cannot force a beneficiary to pay the tax without actually giving the income to the beneficiary.

Though I have not read all 3" of the trust, only reading the inch that is to be given out to the institutional fiduciary or CPA the trust requires to be co-trustee, I have seen nothing on taxes and I would think the managing institution would need that info.

As I said we are highly unlikely to ever benefit from the trust and are already battling a high tax bracket even in retirement given all the traditional IRAs we have to deal with. I have zero desire to pay taxes on this trust. I have zero desire to tap this trust unless it is to close it out so we have one less complication to deal with.

So far we are looking at 1% of the balance each year for the financial planner, 0.75% for the corporate fiduciary, and now taxes on top for money we will never get to use. I wonder how many other ways MIL managed to screw her kids over with what is really not a lot of money.

IP,
hoping to reduce the 0.75% by using a CPA instead of a bank but no idea how to find a good one
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.