Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Who thinks the majority of brokerages will start charging a lot for back records, if they have them

This is where Peter the Packrat gets to chime in again.

Keeping appropriate tax records are the sole responsibility of the taxpayer. Not the bank. Not the broker. Not the tax preparer. Not the hairdresser's cousin's second wife.

There is a reason banks and brokers send you monthly or quarterly or annual statements. They do that in part so you will have records of your transactions with that bank or broker. At that point, they have discharged their responsibility. They have accounted to you with their version of events. If you need those records for some reason, it's up to you to keep them.

In my business, I keep a lot of records on behalf of my clients. I make it clear in my engagement letter that these are not all of they records they may need, and that they will be destroyed after a number of years. Mainly, I keep these to provide a better service to my clients. But if you are no longer a client, I'm going to get rid of your old records. I don't need them hanging around, providing a potential liability in case they are stolen.

With a scanner, you can keep a lifetime of records on a single hard drive. So storage space is no longer an issue.

--Peter <== who is still shredding his old personal files he no longer needs from the days before scanners.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.