Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
There are a couple of TV shows I've never watched.
Alias
Lost
24 Hours

I've decided to rent the DVD of one and start from there.
Which one is best? I know it's all a matter of taste;
I'm wondering what your opinion is.

Here are some shows I liked, if tht helps:
The Wire
The Closer
The 4400

Seeking TV advice on this board because it's so much fun,
Pine
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I strongly recommend LOST.

But I'm not familiar with any of the three you've said you liked, so I don't know if your tastes align with mine.

But LOST rocks.

KrissyLou
But LOST rocks.

Vouch. I'm a total addict.

impolite
Alias
Lost
24 Hours

Which one is best?

Alias
Lost
24 Hours

Which one is best?

I'm going with "Lost" here. Best tv I've watched in a long time.

The first season or 2 of Alias was okay but it never felt like a "must watch" show and I missed plenty of episodes whereas "Lost" is a must watch for our house.

Never watched 24.

boycosmo
I've been addicted to all three of these shows at one point or another. If you are going to watch a season of 24, you should reserve evenings for an entire week and expect a few late nights.

Alias is great, but it gets worse each season. The first season is awesome though.

I've only seen season 1 of Lost - but it was another "watched the whole season in one week" kind of show.

Good luck. I recommend them all.

Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost.

~marcia

total addict
No. of Recommendations: 1
Which one is best? I know it's all a matter of taste;
I'm wondering what your opinion is.

My suggestion is to start with Alias. You will get hooked, and since the series is ending in a few months, you will be able to watch the whole thing straight through. I recommend waiting for Lost. It has too many unanswered questions and would be more fun to watch once there are more seasons available so you aren't left hanging. And I know nothing about 24.

-Sunny
We love The Closer, liked The Wire but got into it too late to really get caught up, and never saw the 4400.

JADP to inform the following: we were really looking forward to Alias, had heard such great things about it, got it from Netflix, watched the pilot, took it out of the DVD player and deleted all the upcoming discs from the queue. Just didn't connect to it.

Lost we liked a lot but somehow never came back after the summer hiatus.

24 is must-see viewing, but I will say, it's because we think it's hilarious.
we were really looking forward to Alias, had heard such great things about it, got it from Netflix, watched the pilot, took it out of the DVD player and deleted all the upcoming discs from the queue.

That is because you only watched the pilot. The really good parts of Alias, the parts that make it watchable even now (if it *ever* comes back on the air - hellloooo out there, we're dying here), are the relationships. Alias is good even when the plot is, ummm, not so much, because of the characters. They also do a great job of making seemingly small random things in episode 3 become relevant in episode 21. (Although this aspect seems more forced somehow lately. In earlier seasons it was beautifully done.)

Anyway, possibly not your cup of tea and that is fine, but the pilot by itself doesn't really get to the heart of the show.

we were really looking forward to Alias, had heard such great things about it, got it from Netflix, watched the pilot, took it out of the DVD player and deleted all the upcoming discs from the queue.

That is because you only watched the pilot.

I had the same experience with Firefly.

We watched the first 10 minutes of what Fox aired as the pilot, and decided it was 10 of the worst minutes of TV we'd ever watched. Never turned the show on again.

Last year my brother gave me the whole series on DVD, and told me to watch the original pilot. I did, and I was hooked.

The 10 minutes of the Fox pilot are still some of the worst TV I've ever watched (written overnight after Fox declined to air the original pilot, apparently). But the rest of the series is some of the best.

-lizmonster
Are you open to other suggestions too? It's lighter fare, but Veronica Mars is an excellent show. And the shout outs to TWoP are going beyond ridiculous. They are incredibly obvious AND the creator/executive producer admits that they are shout outs. There are few stand alone episodes so that is another one that is good for watching a season at a time on DVD. Of course only season 1 is even out on DVD now since it is airing season 2 now.
Are you open to other suggestions too? It's lighter fare, but Veronica Mars is an excellent show.

Veronica Mars! Veronica Mars! Veronica Mars!

Veronica is my second favorite show on TV and I normally prefer much more edgy, "adult" fare. (My favorite show is Rescue Me for a complete change of pace.)

It is quite well-written, and the supporting characters are terrific. Funny, charming, appealing, beautifully acted and cast. I'm a complete addict.

And the shout outs to TWoP are going beyond ridiculous.
What's that?
Veronica Mars! Veronica Mars! Veronica Mars!

Yeah, me too. I don't get to watch it on TV but I went through the first season DVDs like hotcakes and now am chewing my nails while I wait for Season Two to get released on DVD.

I also feel this way about the Angel series and now that I've nearly exhausted all of that one, I'm contemplating working on Buffy the Vampire Slayer to get the back story.

Oh, and let me second Sunny's recommendationa about Alias. I think it's good through three seasons at least.

MOI
And the shout outs to TWoP are going beyond ridiculous.
What's that?

TWoP? Only like, the best website ever. :)

www.televisionwithoutpity.com

Snarky recaps of some of your favorite shows.

Watch the show first, then read the recap. Makes shows oh so much more enjoyable. The recent recaps are linked from the main page. You can get to old shows (those no longer on air or those they no longer recap) from the 'pick a show here' drop down on the right side of the page. If you click 'more shows' you will see a list of every show they ever recapped, even if they gave up on the recapping after 2 episodes.

The actual shout outs?

A few lines here and there. ("I'd call that awkward and uncomfortable.") but most recently a poster for the Teenage Women of Propriety placed so that the TWoP were lined up vertically.
Last year my brother gave me the whole series on DVD, and told me to watch the original pilot. I did, and I was hooked.

Did you see Serenity when it came out? It nicely wrapped up the series and was a rousing good time at the movies, to boot. I just got the DVD and can't wait to watch all the extras.

pix
I (heart) Joss Whedon
a poster for the Teenage Women of Propriety placed so that the TWoP were lined up vertically

I just found out that my library has VM Season 1 on order. And now i'm in the queue. Whee!

I was already dying to see the series but news of these Shout Outs™ just put me over the edge.
I was already dying to see the series but news of these Shout Outs™ just put me over the edge.

If I was still in high school, and if Veronica was a real person, she would so be my best friend.

pix

Bwa ha ha! I even own the soundtrack! I'm a little bit scary about my love of All Things Veronica. And I'm quite the grownup...at least in age.

When you get the show, you need to let me know what you think of the Christmas episode: An Echolls Family Christmas. There are certain moments...

Based on the PoorImp's last post about Douchnozzle, we need to hire Veronica to come up with some dirt on him to make him behave and treat Imp and ImpKidlets with a little more respect.

Sigh for you, Imp.

Unfortunately the shout outs are not as obvious in season 1. But there are, of course, recaps to supplement your viewing as well as a very nice interview with Rob Thomas (creator/executive producer guy). Which I think was during season 1.

The 10 minutes of the Fox pilot are still some of the worst TV I've ever watched (written overnight after Fox declined to air the original pilot, apparently). But the rest of the series is some of the best.

so true.

Hilary
That is because you only watched the pilot. The really good parts of Alias... are the relationships.
Anyway, possibly not your cup of tea and that is fine, but the pilot by itself doesn't really get to the heart of the show.

Hmmm. If we had read this before we put the DVD in the player, things might have been different. We did skim another episode but didn't warm to it. (And I love Victor Garber, who plays Sydney's dad. Come to think of it, we love most of the cast.)

OK, we'll reconsider our exile of it from the queue! We'll wait until Pine is done with it.
(And I love Victor Garber, who plays Sydney's dad. Come to think of it, we love most of the cast.)

Then you really need to give it a second chance. He is FABULOUS is Alias. A true badass.

-Sunny
He is FABULOUS is Alias. A true badass.

I so loved him when he was torturing some bad guy by killing him and immediately reviving him with that giant hypo of adreneline or something. He's like the Evil guy working on the side of Good.

pix
And I'm quite the grownup...at least in age.

Hello. My name is snippee and i watch both "7th Heaven" and "Charmed". Regularly and willingly.

Nice to meet you.
Did you see Serenity when it came out?

I was so hoping this would come to be:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=95&story=8865

I'm only halfway through the series DVDs/recaps, but i'm so so so glad to have this Mondo Extra to look forward to.

Swoon, i tell you. SWOON.

"Permanent Hiatus" not so permanent. This gives us 7Hers hope that maybe more of the early eps will get recapped yet...
"Permanent Hiatus" not so permanent. This gives us 7Hers hope that maybe more of the early eps will get recapped yet...

I keep hoping that they will finish recapping "Pasadena" now that SoapNet has run all the episodes.

pix

PS: what's a 7Her?
Did you see Serenity when it came out?

I saw it on DVD. On the one hand, I loved it. On the other hand, I thought it didn't quite work. It's not the first thing I'd show someone who'd never seen the series (I'm still leaning toward "Our Mrs. Reynolds" for that purpose).

And to continue resurrecting this many-day-old thread: My brother has also recommended Veronica Mars. I was going to rent it; but based on what he said and what's been said here I'll just stick it in my buy-when-I-get-the-$$ queue.

-lizmonster
what's a 7Her?

Watcher of "7th Heaven" which used to merely cheesy but is now utterly dreadful and is mercifully down to its final few episodes ever.

PS - TWoP has auctions for "Tubey's Kids" during lulls in the TV season. You can bid for a recapper to recap an hour of TV of your choice and the money goes to charity. Folks on the forums often pool their money for such a prize. The 7H forum posters want to get someone to recap the series finale.
So far 'Lost' has as many votes as the other two combined.
Time to join Mainstream America, starting with watching Lost.

Thanks!
Pine

So far 'Lost' has as many votes as the other two combined.
Time to join Mainstream America, starting with watching Lost.

Thanks!
Pine

You might want to wait till the end of the second seson, Pine. I say so, because IF*** you get hooked, you'll want to keep on going. At least if you wait till it goes into reruns, or till season 2 comes out on DVD, you'll be able to get your questions answered****.

***IF you'd get hooked-ha. Either you love Lost or don't get get it and hate it.

****Ha! You'll have tons more questions and yhey will never be answered!
***IF you'd get hooked-ha. Either you love Lost or don't get get it and hate it.

****Ha! You'll have tons more questions and yhey will never be answered!

Put me in the hate it camp. I don't like all the unanswered questions.

Cosmos
You might want to wait till the end of the second season

Makes sense. But aren't the other two still in production too?
You'll have tons more questions and yhey will never be answered!

What I want to know is: if the ranch dressing is such a valuable commodity that Sawyer blackmailed Hurley for sneaking a jar, why was Locke using it for target practice when he was showing Michael how to shoot?

pix
What I want to know is: if the ranch dressing is such a valuable commodity that Sawyer blackmailed Hurley for sneaking a jar, why was Locke using it for target practice when he was showing Michael how to shoot?

Wait a minute. These people are marooned on a weird island with thing that go bump in the night and then attack them and their most valuable commodity is Ranch Dressing?

How weird is that?

No. of Recommendations: 4
These people are marooned on a weird island with thing that go bump in the night and then attack them and their most valuable commodity is Ranch Dressing?

At least we know they're not in an archipelago, because it's not Thousand Island Dressing.

-synchronicity
At least we know they're not in an archipelago, because it's not Thousand Island Dressing.
-synchronicity

*Groucho voice* Honk, Whonk!
I rented the first episodes of Lost, so kindly stop
giving away top secret salad dressing plot twists.

Pine
No. of Recommendations: 4
I rented the first episodes of Lost, so kindly stop
giving away top secret salad dressing plot twists.

Hey, you made your bed of greens, go lie in it. Don't lettuce stop you.

-synchronicity
Hey, you made your bed of greens, go lie in it. Don't lettuce stop you.

You're getting fresh, synch.
I sent you an email ages ago and the copy-to never landed in my inbox. Did it ever land in yours? Not hinting for an answer, just trying to figure out if The System is broken.

You're getting fresh, synch.
MOI: added a few more for you to look at.
http://www.tamsie.net/BlueCatDesigns.html
I sent you an email ages ago

If you mean me, no, if by "ages" you mean "in the last few months".

-synchronicity
No, I mean this afternoon.
You said "Give the poor pepperoni pizza."
Then I emailed something like "Aha! You're KR, right?"
Never got it, eh?
Wonder who did?

KR
MOI: added a few more for you to look at.
http://www.tamsie.net/BlueCatDesigns.html

I love them all!

The line in the Botswana agate looks great with the combination of the round beads and the metal blocks plus the pendant.

I just love them all.

You have a very good eye.

So answer my email already!

MOI

Wait a minute. These people are marooned on a weird island with thing that go bump in the night and then attack them and their most valuable commodity is Ranch Dressing?

How weird is that?

Ah, MPF....pix hasn't even mentiond the polar bear in the middle of the tropics...OR the mysterious black horse that shows up. !!

:-)

~marcia
Watcher of "7th Heaven" which used to merely cheesy but is now utterly dreadful and is mercifully down to its final few episodes ever.

My most recent "are you serious?!" episode was "The Magic of Gershwin" where everyone in Glen Oak mysteriously has a life altering experience all because of Gershwin.

And then I flipped out when Rose started singing.

Soup