Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Raytheon is working on a guided 2.75-inch rocket that replaces those unguided bottle-rockets the Army and Marines have been shooting since World War Two.

That's, right, unguided rockets finally get laser guidance heads after only 65 years! These will be far more accurate than pointing the front end of a fast-moving helicopter in the general direction of bad guys, according to the April issue of Defense Technology International. The laser-guided missiles are less likely to cause collateral damage, a serious concern of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. (Remember, soldiers and Marines are not allowed to shoot at the bad guys if there's a chance of injuring women or children.)

So these new missiles not only reduce the risk of collateral damage and striking the innocent, a helo will have to fire fewer to ensure destruction of high-risk targets. Even if they're close to U.S. or other friendly forces.

More hits, fewer missiles, less unintended destruction. Not only that, but after nearly a decade of fighting in two battleground nations, U.S. forces have burned through a huge part of their inventories.

This is money in the bank of America's prime missile builder. Raytheon. It also builds Patriot defense systems and advanced medium-range air to air missiles (AMRAAM). And solid-state radars.

I'm calling Raytheon a winner. (I'm not invested in RTN yet, nor do I have any other financial or personal interest in the company.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.