Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
My brother John and I were discussing stocks today, as we do nearly every day, when an old-time issue popped up yet again, and I've come to you brilliant investors to solve it. This is serious and important 'cause it represents in-your-face bragging rights for the rest of eternity!

When I bought CRA at 40 1/16 and watched it zoom to 276 I say that's nearly a SEVEN bagger, and dumbass says it's nearly a SIX bagger. My logic is that 40 x SEVEN = 280, just a tad over 276. Dumbass's logic is that you don't count your principle, therefore you've only MADE six times what you invested, and therefore it is a six bagger.

Another issue: I say when a stock doubles that that constitutes a 2 bagger. Useing the same "logic", John says that's a 1 bagger, and you go from there.

So, fellow Shorties, who's right?

Pat Buffett

Print the post Back To Top
When I bought CRA at 40 1/16 and watched it zoom to 276 I say that's nearly a SEVEN bagger, and dumbass says it's nearly a SIX bagger. My logic is that 40 x SEVEN = 280, just a tad over 276. Dumbass's logic is that you don't count your principle, therefore you've only MADE six times what you invested, and therefore it is a six bagger.

Another issue: I say when a stock doubles that that constitutes a 2 bagger. Useing the same "logic", John says that's a 1 bagger, and you go from there.

I've seen this discussed before. If I invest $1,000, and the stock doubles... I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna say, "I just singled my money!"

So I cast my vote with you, and say a 100% gain = 2-bagger.

-Your loyal constituent
No. of Recommendations: 3
Who's right?
Who cares!

Milestone! 1300!!!!

Yay.

Dan
I think for the first time, I find myself in disagreement with the indomitable, inscrutable, and incontinent Orangeblood.

100% gain - 1 bagger
200% gain - 2 bagger
300% gain - 3 bagger
400% gain - 4 bagger
500% gain - 5 bagger

ETC.

CLP, I have to side with dumbass on this one.

Shiranai.
(holder of one 10 bagger, woohoo!)
Six bagger....Seven bagger... I've never done worse than a two bagger.

Sincerely,
Bill Clinton
I think for the first time, I find myself in disagreement with the indomitable, inscrutable, and incontinent Orangeblood.

And Peter Lynch... One Up On Wall Street.

Shiranai.
(holder of one 10 bagger, woohoo!)

Whose?

No. of Recommendations: 2
so if just buying a stock is a one bagger, it means you get a hit every time you are at bat? I think not.
Welcome aboard, Ted whose last name isn't himself!

I'm glad you've seen the connection between stocks doubling and baseball. However, your logic, like my dumbass brother's, falls short on many levels, and here's why...

When you hit a single you are starting out where you would've started when you first invested your money. In other words, you're on base and in the game and ready to advance. Now, if you'd instead hit a DOUBLE you'd have had yourself a TWO BAGGER. Same with stocks! When THEY double you ALSO have yourself a two bagger. See???

Hope this helps!

Pat (Who e-mailed Oblood's post on this issue to his dumbass brother, but conveniently left out the others;)