Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Any news on TNF that might account for a 30% devaluation of this stock that pays out a nice dividend since one month ago?
Should we buy more?
MFLuke
Print the post Back To Top
You've probably read all this stuff already but there is a worldwide glut of nitrogen fertilizers, an over-supply of producers, a drop in demand due to world-wide bazaar weather patterns. China used to be one of the worlds biggest importers of nitrogen-based fertilizers, now they're an exporter. The question for TNH is how long can they continue to produce enough earnings to cover their dividend. Depressed price is partly due to the Wall Street over-reaction to the state of the world. Etc. Etc. Is this a good buy? Probably is unless the afforementioned stuff eclipses the potential return or you have a bank that pays 15% interest or more.
The dividend has dropped the last couple of years (one of them was omitted earlier this year, if memory serves). The stock price has come down along with the dividend, such that the yield has stayed about 15 to 20 percent. This year or year-and-a-half, the stock's been a bad deal, in that it lost more in share value than it paid in dividend, but then, I have quite a few holdings that have lost a bigger percentage of their value, and which pay no dividend -- reckon it's all relative! When it converted from the limited partnership, it paid a whole bunch of special dividends. It seemed for a month or two that they just kept piling more dividends -- old ones from the partnership, special ones from the partnership, new ones from the stock -- it confused me all the way to the bank.

You ask if the stock is a good buy now. It depends upon whether you know that the stock is going to go up, down, or stay the same. If you know, let me know! I would also appreciate knowing whether the sales will pick up and with them the dividend!