Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Why 15%? That is a large discount rate on these blue choppers...

Hi Matt,

Ah, the joys of picking a discount rate. :-)

I definitely do not like the CAPM way of building cost of capital (at least the part using beta to adjust cost of equity). Even if you use some multiplier other than beta (the "classic" beta being the variability relative to some benchmark, usually the S&P 500; other "beta" multipliers can be used, such as country risk multiplier or currency risk multiplier, and more than one can be used, too), even with that, there's also the issue with determining an appropriate risk-free rate. 10-year Treasuries are really low, historical risk-free rates don't seem to apply, etc. Then there's adjusting up or down based on whether or not it's a blue chip or a macro cap or a high growth or whatever, which feels very subjective to me.

At the risk of keeping it too simple, I prefer to use a discount rate representing the average rate of return I want to see from an investment. 10% or 11% would be the market's average long-term return, while 12% would beat that. I want to do better, so I use a higher (and usually constant across companies) discount rate, one that doubles my money every five years (discount rate being the backwards way of looking at a growth rate).

So it boils down to the following: If the company grows as modeled, an investment at that price should return 15% per year on average. If it grows faster (that is for the MUE Port idea, if it grows FCF faster than modeled), the expected return would be higher.

Plus, this has the advantage of buffering against those that flame out and where I lose on the investment.

Simplistic, maybe, but there you are.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.