No. of Recommendations: 1
Why are you contributing to a Trad. IRA for your wife, then switching it to a Roth?

Why not put it directly into the Roth?

If your income is too high, you may not be able to contribute directly to a Roth IRA. While the income limits on conversions have been lifted, they haven't been lifted on direct contributions.

Hence the need for the extra machinations.

Inside Value Home Fool
(Whose income has never been high enough to disqualify him from Roth IRA contributions but who would be happy to have to go through that extra step.)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.