Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Am I missing something, or did The Fool just eliminate the abilitiy to comment on articles?

If so, this seems like a big mistake. CAPS and blogs have already seen lower activity as competition from other sites offering significant $ for articles has reduced traffic. To remove the comments from articles is another step in lower site engagement.

I hope this is not the case!

The move towards asset management is a continuation of the trend towards more premium newsletters. It makes me a little bit sad to see honestly.

I understand it-- index funds, other sites competition (particularly SeekingAlpha) probably have made it difficult to sustain pricing at the low end, so you have to move upstream. Still makes me sad though.

Print the post Back To Top

Doesn't seem like it

It depends. At work on my Windows computer using Chrome, I typically can't comment. But at home on my Mac using Safari, I can usually comment. Also often on my iPhone using Safari I can comment.

Sometimes it gives me to not logged-in website version (with no comment box) and sometimes it gives me to logged-in website version (with the comment box).

And sometimes if I refresh the page enough times, it will switch between the not logged-in version and the logged-in version. 

The problem is a huge website bug that has been going on for months now. It isn't intentional on The Motley Fool's part to disable commenting on the website. It is just a presistant error that has yet to be addressed.

Maybe if enough people complain, they'll actually fix it (maybe... although they have yet to fix other presistant website bugs more than a year after they showed up). 

Good luck to you. They aren't going to fix it. I've had other people tell me about this 'not logged in' bug as much as a couple years ago.

For a period of about eight months I kept getting nothing but the not-logged-in version of articles with no comment box.

About a week or two ago, I began to get a few articles with comment  boxes again once in a while, and sometimes if I got the not-logged-in version I was able to get the logged-in version after repeatedly hitting refresh a few times.

If you click on enough articles, I imagine you'll find some that pop up just like they're supposed to, complete with a comment box.

For awhile in the past month, I thought it was getting better, but now, once again, I find I can't comment or read comments by others on most articles.

The difference between the articles that pop up properly and the ones that don't? You got me. Damned if I know. 

Since it doesn't seem like this problem affects enough of their readers (not enough similar complaints) for the Fool to deem it worthy of the effort on their part to fix it, I imagine you'll just do the same thing I've been doing.

You'll put up with it and keep hoping it eventually goes away.

Nothing we can do. 

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the new page format is only being tested on a certain percentage of total articles, so that's why you can comment on some but not all. Not being able to comment is only temporary and full functionality should come back in the weeks/months ahead. 

TMFToCoins

This is *not* new! 

@TMFTwoCoins

As notyouagain mentioned, this is not new. And it isn't an article by artlcle issue. I can get one version of an article today and get the other version of the same article tomororw. Or I can get one version using Safari on Mac, but a different version using Chrome on Windows. Or I can comment on an article today and not have access to the comment section of that same article until days later.

This is definitely not a feature or a test. It is a bug. A presistant bug. 

And even when it was "fully-functional", the comment section was still super buggy.

Well, today I couldn't get to any comments (on Windows, OS X, or iOS). 

Maybe if we keep this thread front and center, someone on the technical side of The Fool will see it.

Some articles pop up properly for me and some don't.

This one just did.

http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/2015/07/08/3-dividend-stocks-to-buy-in-july.aspx

Why can't they examine the ones that do vs the ones that don't and find the problem?

But they won't. If there were more people having a problem and pointing it out, maybe, but as long as there's apparently so few of us, they won't. 

Yep, still not able to comment on or rec articles...

I've had the same problem for several months now, and I commented elsewhere about it. It went away quickly, but has returned from time to time, and lately, I have gotten a lot of articles that I couldn't comment on.

'Same here.  I haven't been able to comment on a free article for quite some time now.  The Fool content is wonderful.  Thier website leaves much to be desired......it is quite buggy.  'Very frustrating at times.

It seems that anything under "http://www.fool.com/investing/general/" (which is the majority of articles) will get you the "not logged-in" version of the website. Anything other than that will get the "logged-in" version of the site.

http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/ or http://www.fool.com/retirement/general/ or http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/ will take you to the "logged-in" version, but /investing/general will take you to the "not logged-in" version.

Except (of course) for the times when everything will take you to the "not-logged-in" version or everything will take you to the "logged-in" version. But for now, this seems to be what's happening. Everything under /investing/general will result no comment box.

Thanks for bringing this up, I thought there was something wrong with my PC. Not being able to read comments is a huge issue, which hopefully gets addressed.

I am not overly optimistic. Been dealing with this on and off for too long.

One word of warning. Put up with it. The price of complaing too much and getting banned is painful.

Time goes by. If you enjoyed playing CAPS, you will miss it. Hopefully, over enough time the bug will get better.

Don't be too much of a thorn in their side. You might regret it.

Why do you think I picked this user name? I have been here before.  

Like the web site the content side of the Fool is going downhill too. Way too much cheerleading on Obamacare (if I wanted that I'd go to a left-wing site like Salon.com, etc.), and junk writing on retirement planning (what does a 20- or 30-something know about retirement? Answer: not much).

Seven recs so far for this blog.

No, this problem will never get fixed.