Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 23
After studying the component players and technologies used to build the next generation network for over a year now, I am ashamed to say that today I could not put one together. Until I have this ability, my investments in the sector are at risk of this ignorance. While quantitative analysis helps eliminate some risk, visualization of the process would help me and others zero in on the gorillas and reduce 'choice risk'. This ex-tank driver has reached the limits his God given abilities.

I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem. Reading this and that but the blocks never seem to come together. I haven't read one post, series of posts, periodical, or book that explains the infrastructure in a way that would allow the investor to readily visualize the components and their place within the network.

I don't know about the rest of you, but until I can bulid it, I don't really know it. Could there be an engineer or investor here with the ability to build out this network?

We could create our own company to compete with Level 3 Communication. It could be called Rat's Broadband Network. And we could start digging ditches to lay our conduit in the ground. We being owners, would argue every step of the build out. For example, we could argue how many conduit pipes we need in the ground given DWDM capabilities. This type of transaction of ideas and knowledge would allow us to define companies within each niche and expose the pros and cons of each technology.

Would anyone be interested in a project such as this? And the next question is there someone here that has the ability to get us started.

Wanting to learn more

Hanson
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can I be the first to invest in the RBN. Used to work in telecom industry and can provided advice regarding how NOT to do it..

TC, eh
No. of Recommendations: 0
Could there be an engineer or investor here with the ability to build out this network?

Well, at the risk of appearing immodest....

.... yes.

But then again, I'm already busy helping to build out the real thing. ;-)

Tony
No. of Recommendations: 2
Easy way to build a NGN.

Call your local Nortel Sales rep. order what he tells you and additional installation services.

Write cheque.

Wait for revenue to flow in or lenders to shut off your credit line (which ever comes sooner)

-------------------------

While you could do it that way (since Nortel could actually give you all the stuff you wanted except the fiber) I predict that without a better understanding of your needs you would go bust quickly.

I did a post earlier on this board that covers how all the bist fit together. Its still pretty accurate - see http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12446237

Then once you ahve understood the post and soem others such as the various definitions of a switch on this baord go back to the "easy step" and keep me employed

DD
No. of Recommendations: 1
Call your local Nortel Sales rep. order what he tells you and additional installation services.

Write cheque.

I thought Nortel's problems these days were they were not getting as many 'cheques' due to their financing of vendors....

Hey, at least you're loyal to your employer. Don't let the blinders shade the overall view....

BB

Hey, at least you're loyal to your employer. Don't let the blinders shade the overall view....

BB

if you read what I wrote lower down you might reconsider that comment. I said you'd go bust if you followed the easy way. I'm not so loyal as to be st00pid.

DD
DD

Thanks for the link. But "I want the internet to be".....well.....more understandable.<gg>

I hear about the internet backbone and wonder if a company like Level 3 built their own or does the company lease usage from another company. Does Level 3 look more like the cable MSO but with all optic throughput.

Would Level 3 use the services of an internet data center such as Exodus Communications, or does Exodus use Level 3 to provide its service.

I also wonder if a difference exist between a web server and a regular file server. Are they the same device?

Also, it seems like IP will be the standard communications protocol in the future. I know that Level 3 is working on VOIP for their network. If VOIP happens to obtain the same qualities of the SONET system, AT&T and the might not have the capital to increase capital expeditures.

I could go on with more questions, but by now you see my ignorance. If you do not, I can only ask you call my mother to verify it.

This is why I believe the build out discussion would be helpful. From your post on the gorilla game board, you seem to have a good teaching style, and you have knowledge of the NGN that will take many of us years to accumulate.

tcmccauley and tony1athome look to have coveted knowledge also. You all have a gift that could enrich your fellow man's mind. What do you say guys?

Don't make me beg :(

Hanson