Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Go over to the Retire Early Home Page and read post # 127782 by Intercst. Now. The rest of this post is just a poor copy.

OK, if you need convincing...Intercst ran safe withdrawal rates (SWRs) over every 30-year period from 1871-2002. He wrote "I calculated the maximum inflation-adjusted SWR that would have survived in each individual 30-year period for asset allocations of 0% stock to 100% stock in 5% increments. In 74 out of the 100 30-year periods 100% stock provided the highest SWR."

I would argue that, during one's accumulation mode, there is an even stronger incentive to be 100% in eqities. FIRE Wannabes should be in accumulation mode. Our ability to stay the course with equities over longer periods of time should be greater. I would make a big exception for any other kind of investment you have deep knowledge of and/or a commitment to like rental real estate.

Intercst is a wonderful, awesome resource at TMF when he writes about FIRE. This kind of post is why it can be worth reading the REHP board despite the poor signal to noise ratio at times. Go read his post and give him a rec, please. You can stay and start looking into Monte Carlo simulations, portfolio mixes and all that if you want to take the time.

Cheers,

JohnH
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.