Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Why have 100% in Equities? ... <paraphrase> Because that allocation has done better than one with bonds in 74/100 30 year periods </paraphrase>

I'll note that there is a strong correlation between high stock market valuation and the start of periods in which stocks underperform. We are in a period of very high stock market valuation.

I'll also pipe in to second FMO's caution about real investors' ability to stick with a 100% stock portfolio through multi-year bear markets. People's risk tolerance tends to be lower than they imagined when they've just lost 50% of their stash and there is no sign of the decline stopping. If you're sure, then you're sure, but you never really know until the poo hits the fan.

A 90/10 portfolio with periodic rebalancing gives up almost no performance to a 100% equity portfolio and has lower volatility.

Just a few counterpoints. Personally I currently have substantially more of the stash in fixed income options than I would if the market had a better valuation (or if I had some better options like emerging markets or small cap value in my 401k). I will increase my equity allocation when/if it comes down. If it doesn't come down, then I expect I won't lose out by too much given the horrendously low dividend yield on the S&P 500 these days.

If somehow the market (S&P 500) from here on out were to average the current valuation, then the expected return is the dividend yield plus the real growth in dividends. Dividends: 1.5% Historic real growth: 1-2% Expected real return: 2.5 - 3.5% . The stable value fund in my 401k is paying 4.1% nominal: with inflation at 2% I'm not losing to stocks much and have the potential to buy stocks much lower ...

Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.