No. of Recommendations: 0
Rightie or Leftie, wasn't hard to see this one coming:

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

<snip>

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

<snip>

www.nydailynews.com/09-10-2005/news/special/story/345050p-294601c.html
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
So let me get this straight, depositing $2,000 CASH into their bank account with ZERO accountability is somehow a BETTER idea?!?! At least with a debit card you can track:

1) Who got the card
2) Where the card was used
3) What was bought

You could than in theory sit the folks down who did these purchases and go, "ehem," but can you explain this and if they sold the cards off, prosecute them and the purchaser. You'd only have to do a handful to make examples...
You could than in theory sit the folks down who did these purchases and go, "ehem," but can you explain this and if they sold the cards off, prosecute them and the purchaser.

You can only prosecute them if it is illegal to buy them.

Tell me, you just got a 2000$ debit card to spend on neccessities. Someone offers you 3000$ for it. Why should you not accept the 3000?
Tell me, you just got a 2000$ debit card to spend on neccessities. Someone offers you 3000$ for it. Why should you not accept the 3000?

Why would someone offer me $3000 for $2000? Money laundering comes to mind, but that is illegal...
Why would someone offer me $3000 for $2000?

For the same reason someone would offer you 150,000$ for a quarter.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=bizarre&id=3417083

Collectors value. So I ask you again, why shouldn't someone accept an offer of more money for a collectible item?

Now, why would someone purchase something as a collectible than use it? *shrug* no idea. But then, I also don't understand why someone would pay 150,000 for a quarter, but I am able to understand that it happens.

No. of Recommendations: 1
If the argument is that the Debit Cards are a bad idea because they can be misused, then by that logic are guns a bad idea? Republicans? Halliburton?

TDeF
If the argument is that the Debit Cards are a bad idea because they can be misused, then by that logic are guns a bad idea?

No, the arguement is that handing out aid in untraceable and unaccountable methods is a bad idea.

The question is, are Debit Cards untraceable and unaccountable?

And yes, I think a similiar arguement can be made that letting citizens acquire guns in an untraceable and unaccountable means is also a bad idea. Which is why we should regirously enforce existing gun control laws(waiting periods and criminal background checks) instead of passing new laws when the old ones fail due to not being enforced(passing new laws to deal with loopholes in the old laws, such as pseudo dealers selling guns at conventions as "private parties" and avoiding background checks and waiting periods however is fine)
No. of Recommendations: 2
www.nydailynews.com/09-10-2005/news/special/story/345050p-294601c.html

Why on Earth would you make a claim about the legitimacy of FEMA debit cards based on a gossip column in the NY Daily News. I've seen this article quoted all over the internet, but I don't see any corroboration of the story by legitimate news sources. If that's not enough, in the same article--the part you snipped out--it has a breaking story about Jude Law:

Sienna Miller's stepmother has told the British press she believes the actress has forgiven her cheating beau, Jude Law.

"Jude loves her, and he's really showing that," Kelly Hoppen told London's Daily Mirror. "The whole family can see they are trying to make it work."

I wouldn't put too much faith in this news source, and I sure as heck wouldn't use it as evidence for why FEMA debit cards are a 'bad idea'.

Spy