Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I enjoyed Bill's column today and agree with the general sentiment. In fact, I myself advocated buying more Coca-Cola shares on this board some months ago. However, now that Schering Plough has fallen to 34, I feel it is a more compelling buy than Coke at 50.

In 1999, Coke's revenue increased 5%, gross margins fell, and net income decreased 9%, to $1.29 per share before special charges.

Schering Plough's revenue increased 14%, gross margins increased, and net income rose 20%, to $1.42 per share.

It seems to me that, with Schering Plough, you get similar current earnings and more growth going forward, for two thirds the price.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wholeheartedly agree with the purchase of SGP. I am pooling money now to build up my DRP.
i agree. SGP is compelling at these prices.

there's always been a preference for quality over valuation using this strategy. there was a discussion about valuation vs. growth on the strategy board. a poll showed a split between the two. i've always favored both (when possible)- looking for a growing company whose valuations become temporarily attractive, as is now the case with SGP (and other drug stocks).

jsahaj wrote in 5733:

i agree. SGP is compelling at these prices.

The big question I have with SGP is their product pipeline -- what's next after Claritin? Unfortunately, up to date information seems hard to find. If one goes to the page for the Schering-Plough Research Institute (http://www.sp-research.com/abcen.html), the link for the pipeline says "under construction." :<

Meanwhile, the wonderful LabPuppy site (http://www.labpuppy.com/pipeline.htm), an otherwise great page for researching drug companies, has only a link to the 1998 annual report section on the pipeline.

So, where does one find more current information?

--Anthony
(Go Lakers!)