Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So I have a UTMA account for my Daughter at Vanguard. For several years, I've been transferring funds between the S&P index and Total Market index funds while always staying under the standard deduction amount for a dependent ($950 for 2012). AFAIK, staying under that amount meant a return did not need to be filed for her.

I recently discovered that, for 2012, she can have up to $1900 in "unearned" income without paying taxes, but I will have to file a return for her per form 8615:

My question, are there any concerns with transferring between funds to take gains, increase the cost basis and reduce future taxes so long as I keep the unearned income below $1900?

She is 12yo and has no other income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.