Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Why should it take a long time to retrain AI? If a route suddenly changes - say, a detour is put up around a construction area - an AI car should notice that, after say 10 out of 10 sister cars in its AI network have changed their route, it should do the same. That ought to take maybe a whole half hour (if ten sisters passed by in that time frame).

Unfortunately this is not at all how AI works.
But before I explain, consider this. Has there EVER been a documented case where something like this has been demonstrated or even mentioned that it does work like this?
Second, in my Tesla I get a software update about once a month, maybe twice. It takes ~25 minutes. I don't get an update 30 minutes after someone puts up a construction sign.

Sure, if the cloud map data has has a road closure noted due to construction, then if I request a route to someplace it should warn me and/or route me on a different road. But this has nothing to do with "training the AI" in the car. Waze (Google) maps has been doing this for more than a decade and it really works better being not specific to a car vendor, IMO.

Convolutional neural nets work by training a model with a large dataset so that it can "generalize" how it operates -- i.e. not having to have exactly seen the same situation before but still be able to make the correct choices. Training the AI model controlling an individual car is a different thing than some cloud code or possibly some cloud AI looking at what current traffic is doing and recommending different routes.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.