No. of Recommendations: 3
Why shouldn't I use netbank as a replacement for my credit union account?

Here are some things to consider:

Netbank's annual report makes reference to trying to get to a point business-wise where they don't have to pay as much interest to attract new customers. Over time, then, the better rates may not be as attractive.

Also, the advantage of a credit union account is that when you need specialized service, as for an unusual loan or help with a problem, you can go talk to a real person who's authorized to help you.

My advice: Chase good interest rates on your savings accounts, but don't bother on your checking. You shouldn't be keeping huge amounts of money in a checking account anyway if you care about return on your money, and the dollar or two a month you're giving up on your small checking balance will be worth the accountability.

The strategy I've pursued is to keep my liquid cash savings balance in a Schwab account tied to a money market fund, and less-liquid savings in an ING account earning 3% APY. For checking, I use Bank of America, which doesn't pay interest but doesn't incur fees either, at least not where I am.

-- Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.