Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I don't participate here much, but I try to read the board occasionally.

What amazes me is how much someone can write without getting even a single rec on this board.

Why so cheap?

Geez, I know Americans - especially in Florida, seem to have the impression we're a bunch of skinflints, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Now, before you all get cranky with me again, and start telling me how much you dislike recs, let me say that I'm not a big fan of the reccing system either. It creates an atmosphere that encourages, confrontation, manipulation, and grandstanding-for-recs.

But it also helps readers distinguish between the more insightful, and interesting posts, and those that are simply emotional tirades and fluff.

A reader who doesn't have time to read an entire thread can skim through getting some of the main ideas by scanning the most-recced posts.

Reccing can also be a form of thanking someone for starting a topic you'd like to hear more about. If you like someone's thinking whynot give them a rec - even if you don't agree with every detail?

Reading through that last thread, I couldn't believe anyone could write so much, and so much that was interesting to read, without getting a single rec.

It doesn't cost anything to give a rec. When you give a rec it isn't subtracted from the number others have given you. And it took a lot of time, effort and deliberation to write each of those posts.

Giving recs encourages participation on the board. It's a way of saying "thank-you" for taking the time, effort. It's a way of encouraging others to join in, and it's a way of saying thanks for caring enough to write something.

Try reccing each other once in a while; it won't kill you.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.