Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I did my research and sent in the money to Temper. A reply was sent, they cashed my check but that was the last of it. We see the INTC swings and wonder when our first share will be purchased. Then another Fool tells me it may be 2 to 3 months before I am registered with the companies until I can start! What is going on? Any ideas for a newbie fool?

Twood be a Fool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Twood,

>>>>We see the INTC swings and wonder when our first share will be purchased. Then another Fool tells me it may be 2 to 3 months before I am registered with the companies until I can start!<<<<

The purchase doesn't take that long. In fact, Intel is purchased at least monthly...on or about the 1st of the month with funds received by the 25th. The transfer into your name is fairly quick, but Harris Bank (Intel's Transfer Agent) may not mail out a form right away. As soon as you get a purchase confirmation from Temper, you can call Harris and find out whether you have an account and use the account number to send in initial amounts. You can also check on the status of your order with Temper by faxing a request to (914)381-7206 or calling (800)388-9993.

Keep in mind that the slowest part of DRPing is getting the account established...simply because a share must be bought and transferred into you name, and then an account set up. Once set up, you'll be able to invest monthly in Intel simply by using the tear-off portion of the statement.

dave fish/moneypaper
Hi T Wood!

I spoke with MoneyPaper and was told that it does take some time before all the paper work goes through but remember that it takes time for the compaines themselves to get back to Temper of the Times so you have to give up "Market-timing" as opposed to buying into the stocks at a commision-free route. Personally, you are ina win-win situation. Relax and don't be upset. Even if you go with discount brokers on-line or via other ways you have to keep too much money , again in my opinion in a reservoir with them in order to trade which is very foolish as opposed to having that 2 grand or so working very hard for you. The stock certificates will be in your mailbox and just be paient. DRIP Plans are for the long term investor and you'll make good money in so many of those stocks that it won't matter, any way. In fact, it will only help you to wait because this Market is correcting itself and you'll probably buy in lower than anticipated.

Wannabechef
> Even if you go with discount brokers on-line or via other ways you have to keep too much money , again in my opinion in a reservoir with them in order to trade which is very foolish as opposed to having that 2 grand or so working very hard for you.
>

Not all discount brokers force you to have money in reserve. My SureTrade account was active for about four months before I put any cash into it. OTOH, I am in the process of finding out who within that organization to complain to about their slow business. There are no perfect answers, just different ones.

My advice to T Wood is to not let the possibility of the George Effect (the fact that stocks always drop immediately after purchase) affect you, as it is a temporary condition.

george
George,

>>>>George Effect (the fact that stocks always drop immediately after purchase)<<<<

You're not so bad off, since stocks rebound in time, and, of course, you can even buy more at the lower prices. I wish I could say the same for a similar phenomenon...which we can call "the Dave Effect". It's similar, but usually involves the purchase of appliances and other hard goods. No sooner do I finally decide to buy something than a vast intercontinental network springs into action...spreading the word that "he bought one" so they can now lower the price...usually by $50.
A corrolary might be termed "the new-and-improved Dave Effect". It's similar, but also involves the immediate introduction of a new-and-improved model. E.g. I happily buy the Gizmo 2000 for $189. Sunday's flier then announces the Gizmo 3000 will go on sale for only $139...and have more features!
Then there's "Dave Time"...:) If it breaks or wears out...the warranty expired yesterday! (I also suspect that there's a "Dave Button" (or switch or chip). In this corrolary, highly trained technicians eagerly watch a countdown. At the moment my warranty runs out, they press the Dave Button. The Gizmo no longer works. A "new-and-improved" version, of course, is the "Dave Chip" which is imbedded in the gizmo so that the Amalgamated Gizmo Co. doesn't have to employ those highly trained trechnicians...:)

So DRPers can actually be glad when a stock declines, because they can buy more at a lower price. But what the heck am I going to do with another Gizmo 2000?!

dsf
...and, of course, we've all seen the "Tony Effect." That's where you dash off a reply that contains a silly spelling mistake...and just as you hit the "Submit this Reply" Button,you see the mistake, but can't catch it...;)

dsf

P.S. Are you truly paranoid if they really are after you??
<<P.S. Are you truly paranoid if they really are after you??>>

Dave,
They really are, trust me.

racerboy :-)
<<...and, of course, we've all seen the "Tony Effect." That's where you dash off a reply that contains a silly spelling mistake...and just as you hit the "Submit this Reply" Button,you see the mistake, but can't catch it...;)>>

Well, at least someone understands me! ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba