No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Everyone,

After 3 weeks of lurking it's time to post.

I need help putting things into perspective. With $11k in credit card debt built over a six year period I want to stop the craziness. For the past eight weeks I have not used the credit card once. I even went on vacation with my wife and two children without using it once. This indeed a tremendous feat, considering that about 5K of the debt was built up on vacation.

So what's the problem. The problem is that my wife thinks I talk too much about the credit card and how I want to keep it down. We don't necessarily fight over the subject, let's just say we don't see eye to eye on the subject.

Let me give you an example. We consolidated her $900 Sears bill at 21% and a cc with $1,500 at 12.5% onto one cc at 6.5%. (The remaining 9K is on a consolidation loan at my credit union at 12% and is paid directly from my paycheck.) We both agree consolidating the debt was a good move and that she would pay down the entire debt over time. (The cc was not activated for new purchases.)

My frustration is that there is still $69 on the Sears bill and she doesn't want to pay it down ASAP. In fact she let the bill lapse and was charged a $20 late fee with $49 on it.

Can I say anything? I have but her response was that she has so much going on right now, do we have to talk about it now.

Should I pay it off? No, this will lead to an argument about me not trusting her to handle money. Besides, I have paid off her debts previously, and think I have set a bad precedent by doing so.

So what happens? The bill remains on the desk unopened for two weeks and I look at it waiting for it to be mailed, frustrated that the interest is acruing.

Any advice or different perspectives would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.