Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
why would I drive down the street to my nearest NG filling station, if I can buy my own in home unit for $500 and probably also pay less $ for the nat gas since I already have it piped in for my stove, furnace, water heater, etc? Is it just me, or does this dramatically change the value proposition of a CLNE?

CLNE's business model is all about the trucking industry. The natural gas highway it is building across the country is a series of Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) filling stations for long-haul truckers. The Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) filling stations it is building and equipping in metropolitan areas are for fleets of waste haulers, municipal buses, airport vehicles and taxi fleets.

It already has contracts with hundreds of companies and public entities to provide natural gas to their fleets. It is adding clients so fast that it recently announced there are too many to announce each one, so it will periodically release lists of the latest signees:

http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/news/2012/7-31-12.html

CLNE also has a subsidiary, IMW, which builds, sells and installs compression and delivery equipment for entities that want to pump their own.

The GE initiative is a 28-month R&D project looking well out into the future to see if there is a business opportunity if and when most of the U.S. passenger fleet converts to natural gas. IMW may well offer a similar option by then.

In any case, CLNE will have proved a profitable investment (or not) well before that, IMO.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.