Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Why would they have to build infrastructure from scratch? They have an active party there now. LBJ. Ann Richards. I'm sure there have been, and are, more.

And the Hispanic population is pushing the state towards blue. Very quickly (based on what I've read). And the Hispanics don't generally like the GOP because the GOP makes no bones about not liking them. Right after the last election I recall seeing many right-leaning Hispanic leaders saying that they GOP needed to change its message, especially for Hispanics, or they would lose the demographic (and therefore many elections). Some were actually registered Republicans criticizing their own party.

I saw the New Yorker article when it came out, and it's wishful thinking. The Democratic party hasn't won a statewide office in years - and once that happens, it's very hard to ever come back from it. The main reason is that all of the 'centrist' young politicians and thought leaders who want a career in public service - and the folks that support them - end up running for office as Republicans, not Democrats. Running as a conservative Democrat, instead of a progressive Republican, destroys your chances for any kind of career. You still have Democrats in the deeply Democratic pockets (urban areas and the like), but they lack the statewide reach to run effectively.

It's very hard to reverse that - demographics or no. What's more likely to happen is that young Hispanic politicians who aspire to statewide office will run as Republicans (like Cruz), where they can get a lot more prominence and power than if they tried to run as Democrats.

The fact that there were a lot of Democrats a decade or more ago is the loss of that same type of inertia - Democrats holding seats in a conservative state long after the electorate moved away from them. You saw that in a lot of the southern states that took decades after Nixon and the Voting Rights Act to move from Democratic to Republican. It doesn't happen in a mere two election cycles, because there is a lot of inertia in party politics.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.