Tax Filing Status: single

Tax Rate: 0, for now

Yearly Income: SSDI, $16K

Medicare Part A, B, D & supplement plan: yes

Future Inheritance: none

Current Allocation: 45% Stocks, 23% Bonds as a CD, 32% Cash

Desired Allocation but can't stomach it yet: 60% Stocks, 30% bonds, 10% cash

TOTAL AMOUNT in retirement, investment, savings = $125,000 -
this is it, besides an old car, furniture and personal items.

Once parents (still healthy) sell the house to pay for their long-term care I will need to find a place to live. Expenses at that juncture, will go up.

I've already educated myself on how and where to allocate the money. My question today is;

- "Will I be OK?" OK to me, means the ability to continue living indoors in a safe, quiet environment and have other basic needs met. I've gotten used to a no-frills, spartan lifestyle and although it's not that enjoyable, it's quite tolerable. If things were to get worse, then tolerable may turn into unbearable, and that's what often worries me.

- I may be able to start putting some money aside from my SSDI income in 2011. If I could put some money aside each year - how much money should I add to my total? Obviously the answer is as much as possible, but is there a specific amount to aim for that may keep me in "OK-mode"? 

-  Is there a superior online tool that may help me? The calculators I've found online are all overly basic. There is a free online Monte Carlo simulator. I run numbers, but I'm sure they're not accurate. I've never done a spreadsheet, don't know how and I don't have the energy to learn how right now.

Thanks.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.