Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Will I need to report all of my income to CA, or only that part that comes from within the state (this investment, for instance)?

You actually end up reporting both. You report your total income and deductions, then calculate a tentative tax amount as if you were a CA resident. Then you report the portion of your income that's from CA sources. The ratio of that to your total income gets applied to that tentative tax number. Roughly, anyway.

You'll want to take a look at CA form 540NR and schedule CANR.

Is this something that packages like TaxAct can't handle?

I'd take a close look. I'm sure that TaxAct (and similar) can handle CA resident taxes. I'm not as sure they can handle Non-resident taxes, but there's a good chance that they do. You'd have to investigate the capabilities of the program you prefer.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.