Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

I owe income taxes to the state for 2012 and plan to mail the check (along with the income tax return) to the state today. If the check reaches the revenue department after 15th April 2013, will I be assessed a late submission penalty/fees?

Thank you!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I owe income taxes to the state for 2012 and plan to mail the check (along with the income tax return) to the state today. If the check reaches the revenue department after 15th April 2013, will I be assessed a late submission penalty/fees?

I doubt it. Timely mailing equals timely action at the Federal level, and I can't imagine any state is more strict. You'll find out soon enough.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
I think not as long as the envelope is post marked on April 15 or earlier.
I did have one experience of a disagreement with the state as to when my return was mailed. I lost and was unhappy with the result.

Bob
I think not as long as the envelope is post marked on April 15 or earlier.

That's the way it suppose to work. That is why you see newscasts showing folks in line in their cars handing their tax returns to postal carriers at selected Post Offices on April 15th (or the final due date)every year.

Now, if the State or Feds actually keep the incoming slew of envelopes to verify the actual postmark ? ... I don't know, but I doubt it ... especially at the State level.

Rich
Arizona
No. of Recommendations: 2
Now, if the State or Feds actually keep the incoming slew of envelopes to verify the actual postmark ?

Can't speak for any state, but the way it used to work for the IRS is timely mail covers weren't saved, nor were timely returns date stamped. Late mail covers were stamped with a received date and attached to the back of the return.

Fun trip down memory lane. The first time I visited a service center I got a tour. Ran across a job that made working in an I-Phone factory sound like a dream. Before envelopes are discarded they go through a machine that senses whether there might still be something in them. If so, it gets spit out into a side tray where a humanoid candles it to make sure. For 8 hours a day after day after day after....

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Unless you live in VA - http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=IndividualFAQ2

in which case, you have plenty of time.
Hi Phil,

Fun trip down memory lane. The first time I visited a service center I got a tour. Ran across a job that made working in an I-Phone factory sound like a dream. Before envelopes are discarded they go through a machine that senses whether there might still be something in them. If so, it gets spit out into a side tray where a humanoid candles it to make sure. For 8 hours a day after day after day after....

I figured I could count on you to give us mere mortals an insight of the internal workings of the IRS. Boy what a job to have every day ...

Thanks Phil

Rich
Arizona