Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Will try to keep this short and answer as well as I can.

1.)I don't have specific information here, but if you're referring to rituxan and herceptin these are fairly new products and I wouldn't imagine they'd be expiring any time soon. As Genentech is not a one or two product company I'm not too concerned w/ their patent situation as loss of protection won't kill them.

2.)This is a long story but it is described fully in their 10K and in earlier posts I made on this board. They are taking charges due to a stock related event w/ Roche.

3.)Can't answer this one, I know very little about Roche and I tend to avoid pharma.

4.)During their 4-12-01 webcast, still available on their site, they commented that the FDA has been through recently due to the Xolair review and that everything looked ok.

5.)Great pipeline, the best in the industry bar none. Other factors to consider are that as biotechs grow they will need to in-license products to supplement in-house development efforts just like big pharma. Genentech is a preferred partner and what I mean by that is when smaller companies w/ hot product candidates are looking for a partner, they will often choose Genentech. As an example, OSI chose Genentech and Roche as partners regarding OSI-774 over 400 other potential suitors. Genentech's proven track record makes them an attractive partner in such cases and this will be an important strategy to drive growth.

At a market cap in the low $20 billion range I feel that Genentech is priced attractively considering their strong growth prospects over the next five years.

6.) Way too many to list as it seems that every biotech has cardio and oncology programs. In oncology, keep an eye on Millenium and ImmunoGen; not too familiar w/ cardio.

good luck w/ your investments
Charly
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.