No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm new to this board; but, I have a question and was told on the Women and Investing board to try it here. I also posted it to Inhertaince Stratagies. This may be a rather long post so apologies up front.

After filing the tax/insurance/investment/appraisals after tax time, I got scared and realized I have to get a will done quick!

Background I am single, no children, and over 30. Heirs (to date) will be my younger sister and a niece and nephew by one brother (A; a nephew by another brother (B). There will be some minor bequests to other friends and charity.

The questions are:

1. Can I set up a trust for the education of my niece and nephews so that the ex-wife of brother A can not have access/input, in any way and if need be allow access/input for mother of nephew B. I trust B, but, A is _________ (use favorite unflattering adj. or noun) and I would spin in my grave she got near anything of mine.

2. Who would be a good trustee for the trust? I was considering my sister (thier aunt) and my best friend (he has children nearly the same age and would know what were reasonabe education and related expenses at that time). I trust both of them to do what they think I would agree with. Or do I have to have a lawyer or a bank as a trustee?

3. If I should have marry and have children and don't get to make changes in time can the minor bequests (jewelery, that kind of thing, etc.) be conditional? Some of the jewelery was passed to daughter of eldest daughter, so currently my niece would get it if I don't have a daughter.If the children and spouse are not mentioned I know the state (IL) will take care of the major stuff.

Again, sorry for the long post. If this was the wrong board I also apologize. Thanks for any and all help.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.