Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been calculating the win probability of vertical credit spreads based on the delta of the short option (using the IV of the ATM strikes for the month in question).

I recently heard of a method which simply takes the max loss divided by the strike difference ...

For example, if you purchase a 100/110 Call Spread of XYZ for a max loss of $5, that would correlate to a 50% probability of making at least one cent on the trade.

A comparison of this method vs. the much longer method of calculating the Delta of the short option shows that the simple method NEVER calculates a lower win probability than the more complex method.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Hamp (I think), you had a great article re: the relationship between win/loss probability and the premiums paid/received which may help ... I can't find that link.

TIA!

-Keith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.