No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm at a loss, my computer is running miserably slow.

Gateway 2000
Pentium II 266MHz
256 MB Ram
6GB HD
Win98 (1st edition)
I have downloaded all the windows updates from microsoft
Cable modem
ZoneAlarm (firewall)
Microsoft Office 97
McAffee Virus Scanner

I originally started running slow and thought that the windows registry had become so "clogged" with junk that was slowing me down. I reformated the hard drive and reinstalled the OS, and applications.

However this didn't speed up the system. It runs so slowly, that when you click the mouse with the windows "Click sound" enabled. Instead of a single "click" I get 10 - 15 "clicks" over a 3 - 5 second period.
Or if you type a sentence in microsoft Word, the 1st word may not appear until your to the 4th or 5th word in the sentence.

Is Windows 98 (1st edition) with all updates the same as Win98 2nd edition with updates?

I have heard that Win98 1st edition "sucked".

Anyone have any suggestions, other than get a new computer. I am planning on upgrading to a new computer, but would like to have this one for my daughter to use. Right now it doesn't do anything very well.

griffin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.