Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If you have Windows XP, be careful about downloading and installing the windows update for Service Pack 2.

Apparently quite a few programs stop working, including some versions of Quicken.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21183302

MCT
Print the post Back To Top
If you have Windows XP, be careful about downloading and installing the windows update for Service Pack 2.

How should I be careful? I.e., what steps should I take to prevent problems. It seems to me that I either download it, or I do not. Do I take care in deciding whether to download it or not and running with all the bugs and security problems that SP2 allegedly fixes? In other words, there are risks to downloading and installing it, and there are risks in not. How do you suggest I evaluate this? Because otherwise, your warning is useless.
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you have the versions of quicken mentioned, either don't download it or download it and take your chances. It's your decision, but it should be an informed decision. Look into it further. I was just posting a warning. I don't have a step by step post for your particular installation. If you don't have enough information about your computer to make the decision, do some research. I gave you a warning.

Cranky tonight?

MCT
I have heard of these problems from several sources. I would suggest that before downloading the update, you backup Quicken. After the SP2 update, if Qucken doesn't work, you can always load the Quicken backup file. If THAT doesn't work, I would consider uninstalling the SP2 update and wait for further "improvements" from Microsoft.

Larry
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you have the versions of quicken mentioned, either don't download it or download it and take your chances. It's your decision, but it should be an informed decision. Look into it further. I was just posting a warning. I don't have a step by step post for your particular installation. If you don't have enough information about your computer to make the decision, do some research. I gave you a warning.

Cranky tonight?

If I was cranky last night, I am still cranky this morning.

Your warning is still useless, like those from the bureau of nameless terror, telling us to be alert all the time for terrorism, when they never disclose for what we should be alert. Like the kid who cried wolf.
If a strange cat is behaving in a peculiar manner, should I call the FBI in case a terrorist has fed it a small bomb or some horribly contageous disease? How about my friend who jokes about overthrowing the government? Could he be serious? Should I report him to the Secret Service or the Dept. of Homeland security. Tell me I should make an informed decision.

It is always a crap shoot with Microsoftware, and Intuit stuff. And your posting adds nothing to it.

What if I say to you to not use Microsoftware or Intuitware because if you do you are taking your chances. It is your decision to use it. Make an informed decision. etc. That will not help you in any way. It will not persuade you to use different hardware or a different OS, nor will it convert you to a different financial management package.
No. of Recommendations: 15
JD,

Take my post for what it was worth to you, which was nothing. Sorry to have wasted your minute of reading time.

I won't be engaging you in the type of nasty enxhange you seem to want. Feel free to ignore my future posts. It won't hurt my feelings. I'll do the same for you.

MCT
From my reading, the most likely issue is that SP2 by default turns on the Windows XP fire wall. Some versions of Intuit are affected for some reason.

If you have a separate fire wall program (a very good idea), or even just a router, you probably have the Windows firewall turned off now. SP2 will turn it on; so you have to turn it off to avoid all kinds of conflicts that might arise between competing firewalls.

glh
From my reading, the most likely issue is that SP2 by default turns on the Windows XP fire wall. Some versions of Intuit are affected for some reason.

Now that is a useful observation.

I so distrust Microsoft Windows that the machine I have running that (and Quicken and TurboTax) goes through a tough firewall. It allows replies to messages send out from the Windows box, but no spontaneous incoming messages at all. And it allows the Windows box to send out only to specified IP addresses with specified ports.

The main problem with that is that Intuit use a lot of different IP addresses and a few different ports, so from time-to-time something just hangs and when that happens I have to guess if it is another Bill Gates Gotcha, or that the firewall is blocking something. Fortunately the firewall logs such things, so I can quickly find the IP address it is looking for, and the port, check them to see if they are really Quicken or Intuit related, and if so, to enable them. (If not, I have a trojan trying to start something.)

Right now I need all these open for sending out:

AMERITRADE="199.200.9.70/24"
AMEX="12.29.100.80/24"
CBLWRL="206.24.190.0/24"
LEVEL3="63.210.62.190/24 67.72.120.62/24"
QUICKEN1="65.197.236.0/24 65.197.238.0/24"
QUICKEN2="198.31.208.0/24 198.31.209.0/24"
QUICKEN3="206.154.102.0/24 206.154.105.0/24"

They must have a really kludgey system to need Cable&Wireless and Level3 just to download whatever it is.

I need another batch to get Microsoft updates.
MCT, you were just echoing what has been said for weeks now and it was a valid warning WRT Quicken. Turning of MS firewall is a common approach to some of these problems, hopefully ZA will play nicely.

I will not DL it for some time to let the bugs get shaken out and wait for a patch to SP2.

Ignore the cranky poster, you did nothing wrong.
Downloaded SP2 last week on the 9th and copied it to cd. Than loaded it up on two of my computers. No problems at all with Quicken'03, not using anything from their site however, no updates, etc.

That being said there is a problem with Quick Books online. Can't get the activex file downloaded from their site. Instuctions given by the site don't work, at least for me. Anybody out there come across a solution yet? Have the feeling it is a Quick Books problem, not a MSFT problem.

cl
If you have a separate fire wall program (a very good idea), or even just a router, you probably have the Windows firewall turned off now. SP2 will turn it on; so you have to turn it off to avoid all kinds of conflicts that might arise between competing firewalls.

glh

I was looking through some of the information on SP2, but I didn't see how to turn off the Windows Firewall. Would someone tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

Mark
No. of Recommendations: 2
From XP Help

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall

Open Network Connections

Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
Thanks for that info about the Windows firewall being turned on by default.

Larry
No problems at all with Quicken'03

Yes, Quicken is not currently on the list of programs that don't work with XP SP2