No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.france24.com/en/20130430-french-presidential-pala...

Teddy, I know wine is your thing so thought you might be interested in that.

The Jedi Franchise on TMF: Serving all of your political, hockey, and adult beverage needs.

JediG
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am sure these wines will be well kept. What kind of shape they are in by the time they get here is another story. Travel is hard on older wines. That 1990 Petrus should be pretty awesome.

Bet you didn't know, but DeGaul would have never put up with that nonsense. According to Jacque Pepin, who cooked for DeGaul, he was so scrupulous and frugal he would reimburse the state for his Sunday dinners 'cause he was on his own time.

Then there is Nixon. Ch. Margaux was his favorite wine. When he would cruise the Potomac in the Presidential yacht Sequoia (since sold), he would have one kind of OK wine for his guests and have the waiters secretly slip him Ch. Margaux, so he could sit there with a spit eating grin drinking the good stuff without his guests knowing.

But, you know what? I think being President of any country would totally suck and they should give anyone who takes on that job all they can eat in the perks department.

All that aside, wine has been a great investment in my lifetime.

I went on a wine tour of Spain last year. One of the people on the tour likes to play the auction game, but he's a seller not a buyer. Sold a set of one bottle each of Ch. Haut Brion, Ch. Lafitte Rotschild, Ch. Margaux and Ch. Latour from the 1961 vintage at one of the big auction houses. Some guy in Norway bought the lot for $14,000.

That worked so well, he decided to do a sale of every 1855 classified growth Bordeaux from the 1986 vintage. That's 80 plus wines... some great, some probably way past their sell buy date. Someone will buy them.

Me, I just did a swap of 3 bottles of 1982 Mouton Rotschild with a local wine store. Paid $36.91 a bottle for the wine and got $1250 a bottle in store credit. Not a bad return, and I pay no sales tax on the new bottles, which saves ten percent right there. Got something like 75 bottles of really good wine that I can probably drink in my lifetime,(which is more than I can say for the Mouton) plus I still have 4 bottles of the Mouton left. in case it comes around.

When in doubt, hedge!
Thanks. Always interesting to learn and hear about new things and for me, wine as investment is 101% a new thing. Wow.

WE'RE UP 1-0 TEDDY!!!!

I was able to speak with Joe Juneau tonight for a few minutes. Seemed like a nice chap.

JediG
Great game to be at. Holtby was awesome.

Anything that gives Tortorella a pained look, I'm all for. When you take a penalty for too many on the ice, you kind of have to quit bitching about the refs!