Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My passenger side wiper on my 1999 Saturn just stopped working. Yesterday I turned them on not realizing they were frozen to the windshield and it was fine at first, but as I drove to work, the range of motion became less and less until now it does not move at all.

Any idea how to fix this?

TIA!
Tammy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any idea how to fix this?

TIA!
Tammy

You say that the wiper was frozen to the windshield. If so, it sounds like the blade has come loose from the hub.

After making sure your wipers are turned off, see if you can pick up the right side blade. You may have to yank it out of the base with a little force. Reposition the blade on the windshield to match the position of the other blade, then press the base of the blade back onto the hub. If you were fortunate, the blade base was not damaged, and it should push back on easily. Tamp it down tightly with your fist, and turn on your wipers to see if they work. If the right blade still doesn't work, you may need service.

Charles
Hey Tammy,

...the range of motion became less and less until now it does not move at all.

Sounds like the knob the wiper arm attaches to (dunno the techie name) or the inside of the wiper arm itself was stripped. If it's just the wiper arm, you can replace that easily enough, but I dunno about the knob.

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 1
Good news (seriously good news). The GM engineers got smart sometime during the 90's on windshield wipers. In the bad old days if your wipers were frozen to the windshield or stuck under debris or packed snow, the motors would keep pulling, pulling, pulling on the wipers until you burned out the wiper motors.

The wiper arms where they attach to the motor mount that moves the wipers are now designed to "release" if they are stuck. The motor pulls, pulls, pulls, this isn't good and something loosens. The motor is still doing it's job (the knob as I don't know the techno name either other than the windshield wiper motor shaft) is still dutifully rotating back and forth, back and forth - the fastener has loosened.

Better news, you can tighten it - unless you have had some other catastrpophic failure. You need to turn the wipers off - position them back where they belong (the shaft is like a cam, it wants to live in one place so it can do its job right) and re-tighten. Your wipers should be fine.
Any idea how to fix this? ........................................

The linkage for the wipers has ball joints at the piviot points and this linkage is underneath the vent/screen looking part at the bottom of the windshield. This is how ONE motor makes TWO wiper arms move.

Sometimes when the load on the wipers is too great, one of these ball joints will pop out and depending on which one comes apart one or both wipers will stop working. Unless there is serious damage to the ball joint, it should pop back together just fine........ once you figure out how to get access to it :)

Pete

it sounds way worse than it is