Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
With a will comes an executor - who could easily be the same person that is the successor trustee of your trust. And that's the answer - your executor will file your final 1040. One of the terms of the trust should be to pay your final expenses. And one of those expenses would be your final income taxes.

My wife died in January 2019. For the 2019 tax year, I was required to file Form 1040 and Form 540 as our final MFJ tax returns. In addition, I had to file Form 1041 and Form 541 for my wife's estate. Were the these forms required because her inheritance from her mother's death wasn't received until after her death?

I did make a mistake in stating Form 1041 covered the period prior to death.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.