Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
With book value staying pretty flat, there are pretty strong indications that the business is mediocre. Then, even if it is selling for say 20% discount to intrinsic value I wonder sometime is it worth putting our money in it. After all, my rate of return is mostly going to be dictated by how much the business earn on an ongoing basis rather than closing this gap.

Having said that, where do you all put the subsidiaries of LUK overall in terms of quality of business. I really don't like the asset management business and from what I can tell it has performed poorly even in such a benign market. Jeffries - highly cyclical and is probably considered much lower quality than other big powerhouses. Then the beef business, timber, Linkem etc. - all of them won't really make much difference in terms of what the company will earn overall.

would love to hear thoughts here.

SS
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.