Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
With regards to HDR and the like but maybe slightly off topic

I have recently been in wide ranging discussions with a large customer about the network he wants for his new building.

One thing he was looking at was mobility - the ability for a user to walk around the building and be connected anywhere. He was obviously thinking of some kind if wireless building. However we did some sums here and determined that even 802.11a (30Mbps short range) would be a problem if we also started to do some of the other cool things that were wanted (such as Video Conferencing) because that 30Mbps would have to be shared between many (20-30) users. It was quickly determined that inside an office 1Mbps per user PC was going to be considered a retrograde step.

However we did look at mobility for PDAs and the like and attempted to estimate the bandwidth requirements for them. The applications clearly are less demanding - calendar syncing / stock quote checking / email - so the bandwidth requirements are less. In addition you can share the b/w amongst many users because these applications will tend to be extremely bursty with lots of think time between periods of high traffic. While the bandwidth needs are going to be hard to determine the critical need is that the b/w be sharable between a large number of end users.

I don't know enough about HDR or any of the other wireless data technologies (except for a little bit on bluetooth and 802.11 LAN) but I think this large number of users sharing bandwidth will be even more important for public networks so probably you need to find the network technology that does this the best.

DD
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.