No. of Recommendations: 0
With the exception of a 401(k) being tax-deferred, does it help in any other way with my taxes, or do you simply mean that portion of my income invested in a 401(k) isn't immediately taxed?

No, just that a 401(k) is (usually) funded with pre-tax money. So if you contribute $1200/yr to your 401(k), box 1 of your W-2 will be $1200 smaller than the wages you earned. During the year your withholding would likewise be less. (FICA and disability insurance are computed based on the total salary, but federal income tax and probably state income tax are computed after that $1200/yr is subtracted off.)

When you file your Year 2000 taxes next year, since box 1 of your W-2 had already been adjusted down for the 401(k) contributions, you would do nothing special for the 401(k) contributions.

The money in the 401(k) can then grow "tax deferred".

Only when you start drawing money out of the 401(k) would you pay taxes on that money. At that time you would have to pay what then will be your ordinary income tax rates.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.