Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
With the Toyota Prius battery, the warranty is for 8 years or 100K miles and is for 100% free replacement, parts and labor for the entire time and is fully transferable to any car owner, not just the original purchaser. If Toyota engineers honestly thought that these batteries would be failing at 100K miles at anywhere near the same rate that a typical lead-acid battery fails near its (for example) 5 year warranty they could not offer this warranty or would have to had increased the cost of the car by about half the cost of a new battery plus labor.

Excellent post again. I didn't know the warranty was transferable to another purchaser. That gives me a lot more confidence, especially with the 2004 Prius having a longer warranty.

But, to play devil's advocate, we don't know that they haven't built battery replacement into the car's cost, do we? On the Civic, for example, the hybrid has an MSRP of about $5000 more than the LX (middle class) non-hybrid version. Could this not include at least some battery replacement cost?

The fact is that most of the components in the Prius style of hybrid get much less wear than in a conventional car and will require less maintenance.

More excellent points here. Thanks!

I had a 2004 Prius on order, then got into negotiations on a house before it came in and have postponed buying the car for now. But house negotiations are not looking optimistic at this point, so I could still be a Prius owner soon.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.