Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
I am withdrawing my name from consideration for the Feste Award.

I recently let my friends in the Pro paid service know that I am embarking on a sabbatical from posting, seeking instead to do some other things.

I have been posting a lot, and enjoying it, but I am old enough to distrust fun things such as TV, video games, and social media (which the Pro boards have become for me). Instead, as time passes and windows close, one finds an increasing urge to do the things that, unattended, may never get done.

This is, of course, nothing more than a midlife crisis, except that the “mid” part is a bit generous and I do not have dramatic emotions about this stuff -- although I may buy a convertible and a beret and drive 55 mph in the far left lane, just to fit the profile a bit better.

But these types of “crises” are trite for a reason; they serve a purpose. Let me repeat a quote I posted for my Pro friends in telling them my plans, because it deserves as wide an audience as possible. It is from Kierkegaard:

“The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all.”

And the most ominous and scary thoughts can come clothed in soft phrases and gentle words!

Anyway, I digress, but my Pro friends deserve an explanation (and, of course, a thank you, which I hereby deliver). You see, moved by friendship and possibly compassion (although none is needed here, honestly), a few people who read my “sabbatical” post reacted by nominating me for this award. Given my plans, this is awkward. Hence my withdrawal.

To Leo, and the other folks who had this silly idea, thanks. It is a pleasure and an honor that you guys think my posts are worth reading.

Best regards,

Rich

P.s. Jim, it is awfully good to hear from you again. I hope all is well!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.