Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read through pub 590 and can't find an answer....

Background: I have a rollover IRA (from a 401k) at Vanguard that contains both taxable and non taxable components. I realize that when I eventually withdraw from this IRA, each dollar withdrawn must be prorated into taxable / non-taxable components. Then I file form 8606 each year to keep the IRS (and me) aware the IRA's ongoing tax basis.

I am now planning a rollover of a lump sum pension distribution and the question I am facing is
1) to roll it into the existing rollover IRA at Vanguard or
2) roll it into a new separate IRA somewhere else.
This rollover IRA would consist 100% of pretax money.

By not rolling the pension money into the existing Vanguard, I will maintain a higher percentage of after tax money in that specific IRA.
My thinking is that when retirement withdrawals begin there would be an advantage to pull from the mixed account at Vanguard where a prorated part of the withdrawal would be after tax dollars.

So my questions is - will this work? Or would the IRS treat both IRA's as one giant IRA for sake of basis reporting and prorating taxable / nontaxable withdrawal percentages?

Thanks, mike
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.