Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all fools. am I being unfoolish to to withdraw my ritirement money , which is in a civil service retirement account. which is not a 401k or a IRA it is just a retierment account set up by our UNION the NALC for letter carriers. I never was told to defer any money over my 20 years of service and all I am getting if i withdraw my funds is what they took from me to put in it. It didn't earn me any intrest, but they made money on it UI'm sure. The paper I am siging to get my retierment money says although the refund of my contributions to the Civil Service retierment is not subject to Federal Withholding tax, any interest is taxabel. Well they don't have any interest earned listed on my account . So if you ask me this money in my account for 20 years just collected dust for me , and was as thow I stuffed it in my mattress all this time. It is like money set aside. so I am free and clear right?? It is money that has been taxed , so why should have to pay tax ion it again?? I should charge them for earning money with my money. Or is that how they get away with out paying me any interest is just returning my monwy they withdrew ? thanks fools, ps I plan to go back to shcool and use that money for school and to live on for about a year.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.