Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have developed the following strategy to minimize taxes and maximize benefits upon retirement. I'm interested in critiques of the methodology, as I've only recently seen it referenced anywhere in print.

Background: I am married - approximately 25% of assets in IRA and 401K
- approximately 50% of assets post-tax liquid
- Balance in home equity

Fortunately, I've been in a position where I make too much to open a Roth IRA (Not good for taxes, but good for current income). I'm a voracious saver, but learned belatedly during the tech crash that a strategy for withdrawl is either as important or MORE important than a strategy for saving!

My current strategy:

1. Live primarily off savings after early retirement until I can start to withdraw from IRAs and 401Ks at 59.5 or later. ( I know...you can take it earlier by equal distributions - my goal is to make it continue to earn tax free as long as possible - and I don't need it.)

2. Limit income through investment vehicles each year to keep me below the 28% rate. Use the excess between that income and the maximum 28% rate to roll traditional IRA dollars into a Roth IRA, keeping taxes to a minimum and paying the rollover taxes out of "after tax" dollars.

3. Continue this until as much IRA money has moved from the Traditional IRAs to the Roth vehicles.

The purpose of this is to:

1. Manage your taxes to never be above 28% (Fed) This appears to be the
only solid way to tilt the Roth advantage to your side (I'm in a
high tax bracket now.)
2. Use post tax dollars to pay taxes on rollovers to Roth -
maximizing the later "tax-free" withdrawls.
3. Keep all possible assets earning "tax free" as long as possible.
Later, when more funds are needed, the Roth can be tapped without
tax concerns.

I'm very interested in people's assessment of this strategy. I've built some fairly detailed spreadsheets on how this would work and believe it to be solid. Please poke holes! I'd rather find out any nasty surprises now than later....

Thanks, DoneBy51
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.