Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can anyone please help.

I post for on behalf of someone who owns some US shares -now at a large loss.

He is currently resident in the UK, but is coming to work in the US in mid Jan--probably for a couple of years. If he sells his shares now he would realise a capital loss which he could carry forward against any gains in the UK for up to seven years. No tax is deducted on disposal in the UK. He would then buy them back in the US as he expects the shares to recover.

If he sells in the US he believes that witholding tax of 31% is deducted on the proceeds immediately irrespecive of gain or loss and he then has the hassle and delay of claiming back. Is this so?

Also he doesnt know whether or not a capital loss in the UK can be set aginst any gain in the US rather than using it in the UK when (or if) he returns.

Many thanks

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.