Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 2009 I may leave my job early on in the year and not work again during that year. I'm trying to figure out what methods I can use to prevent having way too much tax withheld. The 2 methods I can come up with are:

1) Ask my employer to use the part year method for withholding. I work for a large company with plenty of bureaucracy so I expect I'd just hear laughter on the other end of my phone if I tried this one.

2) Manipulate my W-4 exemptions to lower the amount withheld to be where I expect it. This might be tricky to calculate, and I'm not quite sure if it is allowed. To use an alternative method of calculating exemptions, publication 505 says that "it must take into account only the items of income, adjustments to income, deductions, and tax credits that are taken into account on Form W-4." W-4 doesn't have any place for income so I don't really know how to interpret this.

Are there any other methods that can be used? I'm assuming once it has been withheld there is no way to request a refund until the next january.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.