Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Okay, don't let the share price of $4.03 throw you. This company has just landed a deal with a utility, has back orders for their vehicles, has a new revolving line of credit for $25 Million, and new management plus a deal for their technology patents which will give them shares/ownership in a new company, Lordstown Motors. And it is doing this without any kind of subsidies from the government.

That said, I'm not an F/A tea leaf reader so, one of you smarter folks on this board should be doing deeper dd on this one. But I'll give you what I know from press releases, etc, for a taste of what makes this interesting.

I got attracted to this stock because of its high T/A SCTR, eventhough it is not a software company. In fact, this board's founder, DreamerDad, is not against investing in companies which are not SaaS related. Hence, using my T/A SCTR screen as I've set up on stockcharts.com, I'll be bringing more of these early stage type companies from all realms for you F/A types to tear into.

The more I delved into this company's technology, the more I realized they are moving into a niche which is underserved: EV trucks, EV Step Vans, gas/EV hybrid helicopters and EV drones.

More about all this in a minute.

First, let me say, this company (IIRC) only had a few-thousand dollars in revenues last quarter. Still, with that showing, the company's share price has been growing quickly since early Spring 2019.

Daily Chart: With an SCTR of 99.9, it is at the top of the heap of all small cap firms, no matter what sector they inhabit. I like the look of yesterday's "hammer" candlestick signaling a "hammering out of a recent bottom going into tomorrow's "catalyst." More about that catalyst in a minute:

Daily Chart: http://schrts.co/vnddrTCF

Weekly chart shows an amazing rate of rise for this company which only sold $70,000 (IIRC) of merchandise last quarter.

Notice that in April of this year, the trendline starts with a .50 low. Yesterday, WKHS closed at $4.03 per share. So, in five months, WKHS has risen 706%. This is not a misprint.

Weekly Chart: http://schrts.co/KRyHFmfG

Quick synopsis:

Workhorse (WKHS) has built EV stepvans and pickup trucks for which Duke Energy has already placed orders. Workhorse licensed this tech to a new partnership to be called Lordstown Motors. (They are also a top contender to land the US Postal Services first order of EV mail trucks.) The company taking over the Lordstown plant which VP Mike Pence talked about recently is to be run by guys with decades of experience in building trucks. So Workhorse does no more of the building of these vehicles, and has now partnered with people who know trucks inside out.

Tomorrow, Workhorse presents at the 8th Gateway conference and I plan to take notes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/workhorse-present-8th-annual-...

CINCINNATI, Aug. 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Workhorse Group Inc. (NASDAQ: WKHS) (“Workhorse” or “the Company”), an American technology company focused on providing sustainable and cost-effective electric-mobility solutions to the transportation sector, has been invited to present at the 8th Annual Gateway Conference, which is being held September 4-5, 2019 at the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco, CA.

Workhorse management is scheduled to present on Thursday, September 5 at 3:00 p.m. Pacific time, with one-on-one meetings to be held throughout the day.

The presentation will be webcast live and available for replay here.

About Workhorse Group Inc.

Workhorse is a technology company focused on providing electric mobility solutions to the transportation sector. As an American original equipment manufacturer, we design and build high-performance battery-electric vehicles including trucks and aircraft. Workhorse also develops cloud-based, real-time telematics performance monitoring systems that are fully integrated with our vehicles and enable fleet operators to optimize energy and route efficiency. All Workhorse vehicles are designed to make the movement of people and goods more efficient and less harmful to the environment. For additional information visit workhorse.com.

My note: The deal with the guys running Lordstown Motor (GM guys), from what I understand thusfar, is this: Workhorse licenses their W-15 pickup truck technology to them for X amount of ownership in Lordstown Motors. (How much ownership, I do not know.)

Their NextGen™ step vans are already being tested and wowing Duke Energy. They come in 3 sizes and payloads. No hybrids yet. Just EV. From what I can gather, Workhorse will still make these vans outside of Lordstown deal.

I like the design of the cabs as it allows easier entry for drivers and is far more airstreamed than conventional vans delivering goods on our city streets in the USA.

The W-15™ pickup begins testing soon. This too is all EV and is not quite as far along in testing as the NextGen vans which are already on our roads and being tested by Duke Energy. The W-15 only has a 80-mile range, but I can see where this would be an excellent fleet vehicle for utilities, telecoms, construction firms, etc. Going forward, Duke Energy will sell the infrastructure to fleet buyers of all Workhorse trucks, be they the W-15 or the NextGen.

Another interesting thing here is Workhorse, before making the deal with Lordstown Motors, had already pulled in two OEMs, Dana (DAN) and Prefix Corporation to help design the undercarriage and cabins and storage area inside these trucks.

When you go to the website, look over the photo of the NGEN Rear Suspension Cradle.

Accompanying the photo, these words: "A technician finishes a new Rear Suspension Cradle, one of the many impressive features on the new Workhorse Delivery Truck. With only a few bolts, the entire rear suspension assembly and electric motor, is easily dropped from the vehicle for maintenance. A replacement cradle can be quickly installed keeping the delivery van on the road."

Remember Elon Musk and the swappable battery reveal which never became reality? Here this company allows you to drop a battery and a motor in short order. (Try that with any Tesla made today.)

What Workhorse hasn't licensed (AFAICT) is their tech for airborne vehicles.

Their Surefly™ helio is in tests now. This is a gas/EV helicopter and piloted by humans. This is a two-seat helicopter full of redundancy and safety features of which no normal helicopter today can boast. There is a cool, short video clip demo, on the workhorse.com website.

8 PROPELLERS

"4 arms and 8 contra rotating props allow maximum airflow and lift.

BATTERY BACKUP

Gasoline engine with a battery backup system that allows for 10 minutes of extended flight time.

FULL REDUNDANCY
A fully redundant system where nothing is overlooked.

PARACHUTE

A ballistic parachute located in the center of the arms allows for emergency landings.

Their Horsefly™ drones are soon to be tested in California by health clinics. Tomorrow, I am hoping we hear how these tests will be deployed.

I hope Workhorse's presentation covers all four aspects of their business tech tomorrow: NextGen delivery StepVans, W-15 picups, Surefly and Horsefly, with a smattering of their telematics thrown for perhaps some kind of OS subscription service? I don't know. I'm like you on this one, learning. :

Part 2 will be smashed together news and highlights. I have yet to listen to a conference call, but, I have read the latest CC transcript from last earnings report and I'll provide that in Part 2. I'll post a goodly amount of that transcript and then the link so you can complete the reading.

Disclosure: I opened a small position yesterday and will hold into this catalyst.

I daytraded this a few times in the past year. Only recently has it caught fire and started ascending a trendline which says there is more to this story, morning glory, which investors are not yet privy.

Note: I am also leaving a link to a story about a UK firm making hybrid delivery vans for UPS to use in the UK. I think this idea has more merit than just a straight EV if the vehicle has to do a load of intra-city driving. Here is that story. Lordstown is sure to be aware of Workhorse's hybrid helicopter, so, I'm guessing these car guys are no dummies and are aware already of this company in the UK and are thinking along those lines too.

https://boards.fool.com/uk-ups-introduces-hybrid-geo-fenced-...

p.p.s. As of yet, I do not know the range of the EV NextGen. All I know is what I found on the Workhorse website for the pickup truck with an 80 mile range.

Also, I'm not sure the Lordstown Motors deal is finalized, but it sounds as GM wamts this as much as Workhorse.

I am hoping to hear more specifics during this presentation tomorrow.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.