Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
wolferd1,

Hardly the cause for heady theological discussion, more of just an observational head shake.

For over 60 years Chick fil A has been a six day a week business, choosing to close on Sunday so employees can be with their families and be free to attend worship services. They have made that a point of their advertising in the past and lots of folks I know from church like them for that reason.

The local Chick fil A apparently gets local contractors to cut the grass, cleans the parking lot, and to seal or stripe or work on the outside lot. And they always get that work done on Sunday. I guess that keeps it from interfering with business on the days that they are open.

But you have to cede any claim to taking the high road by closing on Sundays if all your outside work is done by someone on a Sunday.

I don't have an issue with a business choosing to open or not on any given day, it is just that what I see at the local Chick fil A seems a bit hypocritical.

"Things are seldom what they seem; skim milk masquerades as cream." -- Lord W. S. Gilbert, in HMS Pinafore

Most businesses operate in leased buildings, with leases typically assigning responsibility for maintenance of the grounds and the exterior of the building to the owner of the building rather than to the business that leases the space. Thus, it's the owners of the building, and not the business therein, who are making the decision to do the work that you describe on Sundays.

Norm.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.