Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
Here in the good old USA

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/10/14/shameful-and-da...

1. The woman took drugs while pregnant. The ME testified the drugs did not cause the miscarriage there were fetal abnormalities.

2. 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage

3. She got 4 years in prison anyway.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
So Brock Turner got 3 months for a rape witnessed by two other men. I guess if she’d gotten pregnant and had a miscarriage she might have gotten 16x the prison sentence that he did…
No. of Recommendations: 6
I read about that.. Very Sad...

Justice is not to be found in the States run by the fact free, science denying, backward thinking, anti-democratic, insurrectionist, UnAmerican Republican party.
No. of Recommendations: 0
1. The woman took drugs while pregnant. The ME testified the drugs did not cause the miscarriage there were fetal abnormalities.

This is not entirely accurate.

The ME did not testify that the drugs did not cause the miscarriage. Rather, there was no testimony by the ME that the drugs did cause the miscarriage.

Per the underlying article, the state did put a doctor on the stand to testify that meth use can have negative effects on a pregnancy. That - combined with bad defense counsel - is probably why she was convicted.

The underlying article notes that there were congenital fetal abnormalities - but does not clarify whether those fetal abnormalities could have been caused by drug use or had to have been from other causes.

Albaby
No. of Recommendations: 10
Even if she did something causing a miscarriage since when do we charge manslaughter for that? Since when do we throw women in prison for a miscarriage?

You know where they do that?

In countries where abortion is 100% illegal like El Salvador

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miscarriages-abortion-jail-el-s...
"The state did put a doctor on the stand to testify that meth use can have negative effects on a pregnancy."

Come on. Even in Florida, that's not enough to overcome reasonable doubt.
This is a defense lawyer who gets it right:

"What about proof beyond a reasonable doubt? What about the defendant’s presumption of innocence[?]... In the heat of political controversy, the more mundane issues at the core of every criminal prosecution get pushed aside as not sexy enough to make a stink about. The evidence here was legally insufficient to show that Poolaw’s use of meth was the cause of her miscarriage. It may be wildly irresponsible of her to have used meth. It may have been a contributing factor to lack of concern for maternal health of a pregnant woman. But to convict her of a crime requires the elements of the crime be met."

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2021/10/19/failure-of-the-brit...
Come on. Even in Florida, that's not enough to overcome reasonable doubt.

True. That's why I'm pretty sure she had bad representation. Or that the article is incomplete.

Media reports of legal matters are usually pretty bad. The initial article made it seem like the state failed to proffer any evidence that the defendant's drug use could have caused the pregnancy loss, by focusing entirely on the absence of such a claim in the M.E. report. Click through a few links deep, though, and the underlying news article points out that the state did call a witness to testify to the impact of drug use on pregnancy. There's just a single sentence on their testimony - we don't know how strongly they actually testified to the link between meth use and her pregnancy loss.

This is certainly the wrong outcome, of course. The state almost certainly did not establish beyond a reasonable doubt that her drug use caused the miscarriage; the only way they could have is if their witness perjured themselves on the state of evidence of the effects of meth use on pregnancy. Some of the problems that were identified in the article (like placental abruption) have been tentatively linked to meth use, but there's just been very little hard research into the topic:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/meth...

Albaby
This might be a stupid question, but if she was a meth user, did she even know she was pregnant (before the point at 17 weeks when the miscarriage happened)? Because if she didn't know, there would be even less of a justification for a manslaughter charge.