Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I haven't posted much as I have been watching the games, but I'm very moved by the shot put at ancient Olympia. I think this is one of my new favorite sports. I stayed up last night and watched the whole qualifying. (I've been much more pleased with MSNBC's and Bravo's coverage than NBC's, as they tend to skip around much less). It was great to see athletes that look like me, with hips, chests, and big powerful legs, instead of tiny elfin girls like the gymnasts. I think if someone had told me when I was a young girl that it was ok for a woman to look like that my whole life might have been different. I hope some young girls were watching. Then of course there was also the fact that they were indeed competing at ancient Olympia, which was in itself pretty amazing.

Anyway back to my TV, I have lots more to watch:)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think it is so cool that they are competing at ancient Olympia! I know that also they had a limited amount of spectators and there were no bleachers or anything, people had to stand or sit on the hill.

Anyone know if they are doing more than the Shot Put there?

=) Megan
No. of Recommendations: 1
Anyone know if they are doing more than the Shot Put there?

I do not think so..I know they had originally thought to do Discus there but the top athletes would have thrown it out of the stadium, so they did Shot Put instead.
Hello,

"Anyone know if they are doing more than the Shot Put there?

I do not think so..I know they had originally thought to do Discus there but the top athletes would have thrown it out of the stadium, so they did Shot Put instead."

correct, they did not want to do anything that could cause damage to the ancient constructions, whatever is left from them anyway. I think there was no shot put in ancient times. It was really great idea to host even a single event in Olympia, the images were spectacular.

regards
Hmm, they probably could have also done the Hammer Throw or High Jump. I don't know much about Athletics/Track and Field though. Oh well, one event was super cool enough.

=) Megan
I haven't posted much as I have been watching the games, but I'm very moved by the shot put at ancient Olympia. I think this is one of my new favorite sports. I stayed up last night and watched the whole qualifying. (I've been much more pleased with MSNBC's and Bravo's coverage than NBC's, as they tend to skip around much less). It was great to see athletes that look like me, with hips, chests, and big powerful legs, instead of tiny elfin girls like the gymnasts. I think if someone had told me when I was a young girl that it was ok for a woman to look like that my whole life might have been different. I hope some young girls were watching. Then of course there was also the fact that they were indeed competing at ancient Olympia, which was in itself pretty amazing.

I caught both the men's and the women's. It was realy great, and so many of them just seemed so thrilled to just be there.
BTW, my duaghters (7 & 5) have been watching the games with us. Muncho (7yo)said she wanted to be a gymnast (they both take gymnastics). I said I don't really want them to consider gymnastics seriously, and showed them Svetlana. I said, "I don't want you girls looking like that. I want normal, healthy girls."
I didn't add that they will probably both be much too tall, but it got the message home.