Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First, BIG thanks to Susan for getting this board going! I had no idea we already had a fair amount of crafty types around here!!

OK, so who all is here (lurkers come out), what crafty stuff do you do, and what ideas have now gotten stuck in your head because of this board getting going?? ;)

Personally, I love cross-stitch.

I've done some plastic canvas needlepoint (see link for the pattern pic that I did for my Mom for Mother's Day a few years back), regular needlepoint, occasional sewing of clothing, and some other things I am sure I'm forgetting...

http://www.cafechatnoir.net/domestic/garden.jpg It came out quite well, and she has it up in her kitchen. (Hmm, sort of a throwback to put the kids' artwork on the fridge...)

I want to get back into quilting (I'll blame it all on Susan for bringing it up, even though it's been rattling around in my head for a while...) An idea I've had in my head for a while is to make a lightweight quilt/throw for my grandmother. She's legally blind, so it would be something that she could enjoy even if she couldn't *see* it really well.

I enjoy painting even though my skills aren't exactly up to par by any means. I *love* decorative painting, but again, low on the skill set.

I've often toyed with soapmaking (glycerin, I'm too chicken to go w/ the lye stuff) and candlemaking as well. (I love beeswax candles, and probably that is a good one to stick with given my propensity for clumsiness...)

Cindy
suddenly thinking it's time to stencil the kitchen...
Print the post Back To Top
so who all is here (lurkers come out), what crafty stuff do you do, and what ideas have now gotten stuck in your head because of this board getting going?? ;)

Ok I'll fess up.

I've done a little bit of everything it seems; quilting, sewing, knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, candles, stuff with silk and dried flowers. I've always wanted to work with clay, I loved making things in high school art class, but have no idea how to get started and money is tight now that we're retired.

But I figure with all the above plus the oil painting, and posting on all these boards, where would I find the time?

DLF - stretched thin
Okay, I'm lurking. I have a fondness for fiddling with things, at least in concept. These days I'm too busy goofing around with my computer and the maintenance issues of daily life to get involved in much other stuff. But in the past, my fiddlings: stained glass, jewelry, spinning, basketry, glass beadmaking...I think there's more but this is early...

greet.
This is already a favorite board, and I've been eyeing quilt books of late...;o)
Hi,

Delurking. My main crafty hobby right now is needlework. More than just cross stitch, I do canvas work, and various forms of counted thread embroidery such as drawn thread, pulled thread, hardanger, etc. In the past I've tried my hand at knitting, crochet and quilting. As I've seen some others mention, I've been interested in trying candlemaking and soap making, but it seems I've been possessed by Guam's Hafa Adai spirt(pronouced half a day, and the big joke here is that is the work ethic) and I just haven't gotten into new hobbies since I've been here.

Should be a great board!

Stephanie
Hmmmm... what DON'T I do, well okay, I can't knit to save my life, although I used to own a knitting machine which was fairly idiot proof.

Currently I make beaded jewelry, am redecorating virtually every room in my house which means painting techniques and stenciling at a minimum, am crocheting a baby blanket for a friends 3rd baby, tie-dye, have a beeswax candle project waiting for my son, and at some point need to open that Root Beer kit. Oh yeah, and I cook.

ataxwitch
*who really doesn't have time to work.
Hello everybody, thanks for giving me something to read with my coffee!

I've always been crafty. I think it started with this little German-made children's entertainment deal where there are dozens of pre-cut felt shapes you arrange on a fuzzy board. I made houses, gardens, stick people. I then moved onto clay and made a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder figurine things. My parents then sent me to a woman's house to take private drawing lessons geared towards kids. I was so sad when she moved away! Charcoal, pastel, pencil. I then moved into watercolor on my own and it's my favorite medium. I've never tried oils, mostly because I've no place to dedicate to drying.

I've tried crochet but find my hands can't do tiny detail work anymore (and I don't have the patience to finish a project). I've also done latchooking and cross stitch. One of the best Christmas presents I've ever come up with were hand-painted ornaments (acrylic on glass globes). I especially enjoy landscapes and cottage scenes. I've also made basic Halloween costumes, skirts and Ren Fair getups (nothing noteworthy).

I've recently discovereed that I haven't been doing anything creative for years, which for a person with a lot of creative energy is a bad thing. My quilt is an effort to change that, and I'm very excited about it. I burned myself last night for the first time in years on the iron, and I didn't even mind, heh.

Craftily Yours,

Susan

Lurker here...

My favorite thing to do is decorative painting--on furniture, picture frames, little wood boxes, etc. I like stenciling too. We are moving into a new house at the end of the month so I will have lots to do there.

I have also done cross stitch, tried to crochet (not very good at it), needlepoint, candle making, and stamping (which I like a lot). I made our Christmas cards last year using rubber stamps and I think I am going to make the birth announcements for my baby (due in 8 weeks!) with stamps too. Yes, I am starting that soon...I know I won't have any time once the baby comes! LOL

Jen
Hiya.

My mother and I are both incurably crafty. In fact we did all the decorations and flowers for my wedding last week. Pictures to come in the next few days...

I also cross-stitch, quilt, sew in general, recover furniture, can stuff, done a woodcraft or two and whatever else comes to hand that needs doing. I am woefully unable to crochet or knit. I just can't keep the tension right. My stitches look like this: ..oo00..oo0..0o00o.oo0o0o.0o0o. LOL!

I have a queen size quilt that is pieced, but not quilted right now. I'm hoping to be able to put in some work on it and get it quilted this fall. I had to quit work on it after my daughter was born a year and a half ago. There just hasn't been time to pick it back up! I machine pieced it and plan to hand quilt it in the Baptist Fan pattern. If anyone is interested I'll drag it out and take a picture of the top. It's the first bed-size quilt I've made. I've completed two others. One was a strange thing that I machine pieced and needlepointed designs on and then hand quilted. It was more of a wall hanging than a blanket. The other was made of denim from cast off jeans and a pretty red fabric, throw size. I hand pieced it and quilted it on the sly for my first husband as a Christmas gift. I think it turned out very well. I have no idea if he still uses it.

I've been jonesing to do something creative lately. It's just so hard to do anything with a toddler in your lap!

-Kelly
Crafty!

No. of Recommendations: 1
First of all, thanks Susan for this board!

I do mostly decorative painting and stenciling. I also do some quilting, but it seems I have more "in the making" than actually done. I enjoy dried flowers and arrangements (DH calls them dead weeds with bows ;)).

Errin
This board is a great idea!

What crafts do I do? Well they partially break out by season.

The ones I do in the warm/hot months are Stamping, Scrapbooking, jewelry making (this one is paying for itself!) and cross stitch.

During the cooler months (under 100) I crochet, knitt, make quilts, both hand and machine, and spin. I have done some weaving, but the shop I used to rent the loom from closed. So I have to buy one before I can start doing that again.

I have also tried ceramics, both hand sculpting and throwing pots, sewing clothes, and painting the plaster of paris molded nick-nacks.

Cheers,
Trill

Hi everyone!
I like to do embroidery and a little cross-stitch, and occasionally some other small crafty things like making cards and wreaths, calligraphy, and arrangging fresh flowers (not too good at that one yet--need more practice!)

hc
1) I took a crazy Log Cabin quilting class at G Street Fabrics some years ago. I have the stuff to do my quilt but have not made time and space to finish it. Sewing machine needs to be set up.

2) I have a stack of plastic storage drawers full of craft items for me and the wee one. Everything from felt and bead Christmas ornaments, plaster for hand casts, pastels and watercolors. Always available in dining room are: crayons, finger paints, glitter glue, craft sticks.

3) Current projects include (a) paper mache hat for wee one, needing paint, binding trim, jewells, and feather boa; (b) paper mache cup with lid (cake frosting container as form) to be decorated as a jewellry box for wee one; and (c) paper mache picture frame with tulip and butterfly decorations.

4) I made simple candles last year on vacation by melting down old large candles that did not burn properly. I poured them into Pringles potato chip containers, using the lids with an X cut to hold the wicks in place. Made about 24.

5) Various needlepoint projects waiting attention from large to small.

I know there is more, but I'm still trying to find the time to convert my daughter's old room into the craft room.
Delurking now . . .

I've always been crafty, but my favorite by far is crocheting. My grandmother taught me how when I was about 6 years old, and I never quit making things. Used to knit some, but that takes more concentration and it's harder to put things down for many months and remember where I was.

I've also done a lot of cross stich and have several counted cross stitch projects in various stages.

Refinishing furniture is another hobby that I engage in infrequently. I'd love to be able to build things, but that's a little beyond my skill level.

When I was younger I sewed, but my mother got tired of hearing me curse at the machine, so that put an end to that hobby. ;)

Would love to try quilting some day. Just not sure how to get started. In the meantime, I make baby blankets for everyone I know that has a baby. Sort of my signature gift.

Thanks for starting the board!
Lurker here...

This board is to new to have lurkers.

However, what lurkers it seems to have seem to be coming out of the closet quite nicely.

Rav

**To those that know me, I aknowledge your kudos with a bow. For those to whom this makes no sense, don't worry**
i'm mainly a lurker, but I would love to learn how to do the crafty stuff, so i'll be addictively reading your posts.

As a child I did crocheting(sp) and latch hook.

I'm really good at starting projects... but not good at finishing.
In progress,
I have a noah's ark christmas stocking about 1/3 done.
A cross stich(sp)hanging about 1/5 done.
A cross stich baby blanket I gave up on (Where do you hide the knots if both sides are visible?)
I also have a pile of old jeans I was thinking of quilting.

I would love to learn how to do some of these things for my own enjoyment, but also as something I could teach and share with my kids. My mother was wonderful at all sorts of the crafty stuff, but unfortuately I didn't have the time to sit with her and learn...and now it is too late.

Thanks for this board... it reminds me I need to pull out the stocking maybe i'll get another 1/3 done this year.

Faith
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Cindy,

I've done all sorts of scattered projects... I started way back when sewing clothes <my mother taught me>, moved onto cross stitch <which is still my fav>, Christmas tree decorations on canvas, quilting <hand and machine, self-taught>, yarn embroidery, fabric covered photo albums and have books on soapmaking and working with silk ribbons to make flowers and such...

Quilling is something I've looked into <vaguely> after I saw a project for my grandparents for a wedding announcement... it's gorgeous work.

I have an old Knit Magic machine that I got back in the 70's that is currently being used in a yarn project to make a blanket in the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern... it's something that my grandmother taught me...

I think that covers it...

CaveGirl

Greetings!
As far as the cross stitch baby blanket - you hide the knots by not making them <g>... Seriously, starting threads are trapped under the stitches as you make the first few, and the tail is run under already done stitches of the same color. I have seen suggestions on using "Fray Check" on the starts and ends to make sure the thread stays put. I haven't tried the glue - just trapping the threads - and the shirts I cross stitched on have stayed stitched through many washings.
"Knot" an expert - just like cross-stitching!
Sandy
Crafty stuff I do:

Piecework (I avoid the "quilting" part as much as possible, hehe)
Crochet lace (as fine a thread as I can manipulate, down to about 70)
Beadwork (stone bead jewelry and seed bead loomwork and jewelry)
Sewing specialty items (dance costumes, curtains, Halloween costumes)

Major current project: a full size lace tablecloth in cotton #30 (hook 12). 200 odd motifs done, 200 odd to go...

I have also dabbled with knitting, tatting, hand applique (blecch!), couture clothing (blecch!), needlepoint dollhouse rugs, latch hook rugmaking, cross stitch, batik, tie dye, repainting/remaking Breyer model horses, miniature chain mail making (!), and leathercraft. And probably one or two more that I'm forgetting. I'd have to look in my box to see what else I have that isn't finished :-).

I've also worked in a t-shirt manufacturing plant, as an assistant seamstress in a men's clothing store, and in a draperies/blinds/pillows factory.

FWIW, I can draw pretty well too, although I have very limited skills at painting.

--Hyacinthe
No. of Recommendations: 3
I do mostly decorative painting and stenciling. I also do some quilting, but it seems I have more "in the making" than actually done. I enjoy dried flowers and arrangements (DH calls them dead weeds with bows ;)).

---------------

Hey Errin,

I love silk and dried flowers but the dead bits on the dried flowers always get everywhere...

CaveGirl
<hehehe dead weeds with bows>
I had no idea we already had a fair amount of crafty types around
here!!

Okay, add me to the list.

Started with crewel embroidery. Still have lots of kits and yarn. Took my late mother's supplies too.

Making clothing -- still have lots of patterns and fabrics. Now I just do family repairs.

Needlepoint -- still have lots of canvases and yarn.

Cross stitch -- still have lots of charts and floss.

Beadwork -- of course, have LOTS of treasures.

I don't do the crewel, needlepoint, cross stitch or make clothing any longer, but won't give up the supplies -- who knows, maybe someday I'll make time for them.

Ahh, but the beadwork. Now there's an addiction I'm sticking with.

btw, ataxwitch -- I wonder if our paths have crossed at a bead shop in Vienna?

~~ Alison
charts and floss.

Oh yeah. I tried smocking and HATED it.

All that work on a dress for my daughter -- on which she promptly dropped with red permanent marker and ketchup.

I admire smocking, but won't do it. Good thing the floss is good for cross stitch.

~~ Alison
Oh yeah. I tried smocking and HATED it.

I'm most amazed by tatting...anybody else do this? I have a couple foot-long scraps that my mother's mother made. Absolutely breathtaking. I have nowhere near the dexterity or patience for it, but it's some of hte most beautiful handiwork I've ever laid eyes on.

Is crewel work the stuff that looks like needlepoint-with-knots?

Susan

It is embroidery done with yarn instead of floss. There are some stitches that are knots (French knot) and many other stitches.

Cosmos
1 completed crewel project
1 uncompleted crewel project
I'm most amazed by tatting...anybody else do this?

I've seen it and there is some magnificent work there -- you're right, it is indeed breathtaking. There's a lady who teaches tatting in the NoVA area. If you're interested, please let me know if you want to contact her.

Yeah, sorta. Crewel is all sorts of embroidery stitches like satin, chain, split, couching, french knots, spider's web, herringbone, bullion knots, and lots more.

My mother once did a sampler of a lot of embroidery stitches but on needlepoint canvas rather than plain cloth.

~~ Alison
Hi all!

I don't have time for another board...but this one looks like sooo much fun!

My favorite craft is to go into the craft store and pick up supplies for a complete, new project. Then I get home and store it away. Ugh.

Mostly I crochet. I'm in the middle of a baby blanket for a co-worker (actually, I have three to do). I do photography which leads to scrapbooks, colloges (sp), and photo items stuff. This also leads to stamping and fabric art, etc.

I've got the stuff for candlemaking, but haven't done it yet. Every craft that has been posted here sets of a "I want to do that" response. This could be a very dangerous place.

To bad life and work gets in the way of the stuff we really want to do.

Welcome to all. This group is going to be great.

Lynn
Hey, everyone!
Right now, I'm finishing up a HUGE shell pattern afghan. It's a trade for a sewing machine that a friend gave me.
With the sewing machine, I made Easter dresses for me and my two daughters. I've made a couple of other outfits too. I just finished making a Raggedy Ann doll from a Daisy Kingdom pattern, and I've made a few Bible covers this year from no pattern.
I did a cross-stitch for my mom, but it'll be a while before I tackle one of those again. And I don't know if I'll ever do another counted one!
For my wedding in May, I'm working on silk flowers, painted wooden birdhouse centerpieces and a veil.
I enjoyed crafts in high school, but I spent many years not doing them anymore. Can you believe this crafty burst of mine just blossomed this January! And I'm enjoying it all so much.
The reason I wanted a sewing machine is I want to learn to quilt. If I may ask a stupid question, does piecing mean sewing blocks together? And can a quilt be done without any hand stitching (I HATE sewing by hand)? And how do you tie?
Looking forward to many new ideas from all of you!
The reason I wanted a sewing machine is I want to learn to quilt. If I may ask a stupid question, does piecing mean sewing blocks together? And can a quilt be done without any hand stitching (I HATE sewing by hand)? And how do you tie?

Well, Ravyn is our resident quilt expert, but I'm the one that's still awake! (Keep telling myself, one more seam, then go to bed...)

Rav, correct me if I screw up on the terminology!

piecing is sewing all the pieces together

You can definitely machine piece and then do the top quilting w/ a machine as well. (As far as the top quilting goes, I don't know if you need a special machine for it or not - I saw a photo of someone doing it once, but it was on a very large machine it seemed.) Right now I am doing my piecing by hand cause my sewing machine is so awful.

As far as the tying goes, all I know is from watching my mom make a bedspread/quilt for me when I was young. It was after she had the whole quilt made and batted and the back on and all that good stuff, and then at the corners of the blocks, she strung a piece of ribbon through from top to bottom and back and just tied it in a bow on top. (Does that make any sense?)

Have fun!

Cindy
has happy hands this evening
<<As far as the top quilting goes, I don't know if you need a special machine for it or not - I saw a photo of someone doing it once, but it was on a very large machine it seemed.>>

You don't need a special machine, but it helps to have a special foot called a 'walking foot'. Practically, you're limited to about 4'x4' or so, because you run out of room underneath the machine with the quilt all folded up. I understand there is a method to assemble several smaller panels together, but I don't know how that's done.

My links never seem to work, but here's my second quilt--this picture is just the quilt top, but it's been quilted since. The quilt was 100% machine stitched, mostly in-the-ditch:

http://www.geocities.com/sunquing/DollyflowerQuilt.jpg
I've been quilting for about 2.5 years now. When you finish a quilt, you either quilt it OR you tie it, not both. Quilting means to either use a machine or by hand to place lots of tiny stitches all over the quilt in some sort of pattern (or freestyle). Tieing is placing at specific intervals a tie--yarn, ribbon, thread. The latter is much, much, much quicker and works best on really fluffy battings. It's mostly done with faiy plain quilts--squares or nine patches--I think. Quilting is done on any type of quilt.

If you quilt by machine, you can do it with any sewing machine, but a quilting machine with extra attachments is best. It's also coolest if you have a table in which the machine sits flush so that you can control the fabric. I don't have that. For large quilts, you can have them done professionally--that's where you see the really large machines that do it all by a program. I'm sending off a quilt to a professional shortly--putting the finishing touches on a king+ sized quilt for our bed--we just celebrated our first anniversary and I've been working on it for the last 9 months! All it is is 4" squares...but 864 of them.

Selphiras
Just found the new board today. Will have to go back and read all the posts later.

My mother and maternal grandmother are my inspirations when it comes to crafts. My sister also has several crafts at which she excels (hand and machine quilting, cross-stitching, crocheting, tole painting) including the hand-made books she prepares each year for her students.

My craft list is extensive:

crocheting (have enough thread and yarn to start my own shop)
sewing (have two machines, thread, fabric and patterns to last a lifetime)
beading (it has now become an expensive obsession)
scrapbooking (I'm working on organizing my bookmark collection)
cross-stitching (floss and aida cloth everywhere; will not even discuss the embellishments and buttons I have collected over the years)
Origami (want to try fabric boxes - beautiful)

Next I want to try tea-bag folding and card-making (found and bought the patterns, just have to find the time - reminds me of Henry Beamish in the Twilight Zone)

~ Cyfaill ~ (Mom used to get upset when I added to my very large needlework books collection until I asked if she prefered I spent the money on beer and cigarettes - Mom loves my collection and borrows from it whenever she can)
beading (it has now become an expensive obsession) ... embellishments and buttons

I'm guessing you've seen "Bead and Button" magazine?

reminds me of Henry Beamish in the Twilight Zone)

"All the Time in the World" -- right?

Mom used to get upset when I added to my very large needlework books collection until I asked if she prefered I spent the money on beer and cigarettes

Very clever response!

~~ Alison
Just found this board and finally got through all the posts.
I come from a very crafty line. My grandma taught me to quilt, my other grandma tried to teach me crochet and make candy, and mom taught me to cross-stitch. She was teaching me to make clothes when I moved away. Hopefully I can pick it up again when I move back next month. After I make the clothes, I have to learn to embordier them.
As far as projects, I have a box of my husbands old uniforms (some of them still have the store starch on them, but they have white paint on dark blue uniforms so he can't wear them.) that will become pillows one of these days and 3 pairs of jeans that will someday turn themselves into a quilt (like I have time to do it!). After reading all these post, I had to visit my nieghboorhood craft shop. Didn't find the pillow batting I needed (a craft shop without pillow batting? What is the world comeing to?) but found a pattern for a sampler I want. If I could find the scanner power cord, I'd upload a picture.
I think that's enough rambling.
Still reading posts and catching up before I post an actual Q but I wanted to just say hello anyways.

I am liss and I cross stitch. Not obsessively but I should since I have about 10 kits ready to start as soon as I finish the one I am working on! In the past I have dabbled in stamping, making hemp jewelry and stained glass painting. I am a sucker for cute.

I have banned myself from craftstores because I get so excited about all the cool projects and buy them and then... never use them. Not very LBMM!

liss
avoiding temptation since 1902